Down loading a 308

Wlhofer

I got a pro hunter 308 barrel that I want to down load for my 12 and 13 year old to deer hunt with ,any suggestion on leads and powder info got h414 ,imr4895 benchmark on hand maybe 200 yard shots max or would you suggest diff caliber
thanx guys

Wlhofer

When I was 12 years old I shot my 2nd deer with my Dad's open sighted 06 at a distance of 375 yards. My Dad is the one who ran the deer out to me so I was on my own. I knew I had to come up some but almost over did it as I hit it in the spine. I mention this only to point out that some kids like me (the ones who just love guns) think even the recoil is fun (as in lets do that again) so make sure you don't have one of those before detuning loads.

The problem with detuning a 308 with the powders you mentioned is the case begins to get a bit on the empty side – but it would work OK if you don't go below book minimums. I would switch to a powder that is way too slow for the 308 so I could have a relatively full case and low velocity. 150 grain Sierra Game Kings are cheap and should open up fine even going slow.

If you decide instead to get a lighter caliber I'd go with the 6mm Rem as it is just about perfect for deer. Most of the couple of dozen I've shot were with that cartridge. Accurate, low recoil, easy to carry and the bullet stops in the hide on the opposite side.

I got a pro hunter 308 barrel that I want to down load for my 12 and 13 year old to deer hunt with ,any suggestion on leads and powder info got h414 ,imr4895 benchmark on hand maybe 200 yard shots max or would you suggest diff caliber
thanx guys
Give Sierra a call,Very helpful in this category. .....SEMPER FI!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts