Does anyone hunt with 22-250 anymore?

I haven't had issues with regular 22-250 from center feeding mags or box mags. They work just fine, but if you use an AICS style mag (for a M5 set up) the tapered 22-250 case can cause feeding issues. The 22-250 AI has much less case taper, so it feeds really well from the AICS or even AW style mags.

In my 22-250s, I used mostly 55 grain bullets. This was in heavy barreled rifles with the standard 14"twist.
On large ground hogs and foxes, I found that they did more damage to the target out at several hundred yards than the 50 grain bullets. The 50s do cause good acrobatics on prairie dogs though. I found out quick that the match hollow points were accurate but lacked explosive killing power. I saw too many crawlers on large ground hogs with the match bullets. I killed many varmints with the old 55 grain Sierra flat base spitzer over the years, they were accurate and would bust 'em up. I switched to the 55 grain ballistic tips in the 80's when they first came out and had great success with them also. Later on, I also used the Vmax and Blitz Kings but almost always stayed with the 55 grain weight. I use the 55 weight in my Swift also. I'm trying heavier bullets now in my 8 twist Teeker but have not shot anything buy targets with it, I'm hoping to get a shot at something with it loaded with the 65 grain Sierra to see if it can produce carnage.
Good Times!!
Gary

Sierra HPBT 55 grain hunting type rounds are dynamite (explosive) on small game. Mine run ~3600 FPS. I haven't hit fur bearers with them, but think they would not be fur friendly.

Years ago I used to have a Remington 700 chambered in 22-250 that I shot a lot of prairie dogs with. Time went by and the rifle was rechambered in a different caliber and forgotten about. Recently while going through and old ammo box I came across some loaded 22-250 rounds and that got me to thinking about how much I had enjoyed the round. Now I am thinking about getting a barrel chambered in 22-250 or maybe another rifle in that caliber. Time to start saving some coins for another project I guess
I swear by a 22-250 for anything deer size and down. I still have one. It's been in the backlight since I've been playing with my 3or 4 22creedmoors. I like the creedmoors a ton but there's just something to be said when a varmint is hit at over 4000 fps. No wiggle no kick no running off. I've had a 22-250 since I was 8 years old so I'd say 36 years of experience with it. My longest poke on a deer was 479 yards and my largest buck 120 yards fell to this great cartridge. 35 grain hammers at 4400 fps are fun but it seems like predators actually hesitated like they didn't know they were dead yet before they tipped over😂

I am sure there are several chambering out there that are better now days than the 22-250 but two things keep me thinking about it. One is several hundred rounds of brass and loaded rounds lying around and the other is it was my first "long range caliber rifle". I had mainly used a 30-30 for all my hunting in the Ozarks. when I got out of the service I got the 22-250 to shoot prairie dogs with when a buddy and I could get out west.
If your interested in using that brass up you could do a simple 6-22-250. All you have to do is take a 6-22/250 die and run it through and you get an amazing little 6mm that can shoot the 115 d tacs from David Tubb to right around 3000 fps. I was using 37.5 grains of H-4350 and shooting a comfortable 2945 with mine. I got just at 3000 rounds when I pulled the barrel to do a 24 KIDD. It was still shooting 3/8 groups. I just was itching to do something else.

I hunted coyotes all through the '70s and '80s with the 22/250, numerous 700's and 788's. Then had a barrel put on in 22/250 AI, 55g Sierra at 4050 is real world, and sub 1/2" at 200 yards. I fire-formed cases while killing coyotes with a 55g loaded at 3850.

I ran a 12T in my 22/250 AI, and 60g Bergers at 3700 just about shot coyotes in half, amazing accuracy!

AA2700 with 50, 55, and 60g bullets makes for some long barrel life, unlike Varget, H4895, R#15, and IMR 4064

You will NEVER trim a case to length on a 22/250 AI, and I never have had a feeding problem with the AI in Remington 700's.

Love my 22-250! Currently shooting an 8 twist barrel and 85.5 grain Bergers. Prairie dog kills out to 1131 yards and marmots to over 950 so far.
BC455C93-7F21-419F-93D0-834CB3F95EB6.jpeg

It's a Cooper Custom Classic, gotta be 20 years old. I've been using Cooper's Wilson barrels and they have been shooting sub half moa. Last barrel was a 14 twist shooting 52 grain bullets at around 3800 fps IIRC. I got around 1600 rounds down before accuracy started going away. When I rebarrel this winter I'm going 22 Creedmore and have a couple thousand 75 and 88 grain ELDM's waiting. Going with a custom barrel, having my gunsmith do the work then have it blued. It's one of two old style walnut and blued rifles I have left.