Votes: 123 8.0%
  • My kids hunt

Votes: 859 56.0%
  • My kids tried it but don't hunt

Votes: 81 5.3%
  • Not yet but I plan to introduce them to it

Votes: 273 17.8%

• Total voters
My kids are all real young, 3, 4, and 6. they love sitting on the deer stand with me. Make a lot of racket but thats just part of taking young children to the woods. The 6 year old badly wants to kill a deer. the 3 and 4 year olds just want to watch, they don't think they want to shoot one yet. But I will have them with me as long as they want to go. I introduced their mother to it when we were together, now it is like an addiction to her. She is a very good shot and she dropped the first one she shot at from 200 yards in its tracks. she was hooked from then on. We have joint custody of the little 6.5x55 that she hunts with as well. I get to play with it in the off season and she hunts with it. She has now killed 6 deer with it and none have taken a step.

My wife bow hunts with me and shoots prairie dogs. She doesn't like to big game hunt with a rifle. Go figure!
My son is 12 and passed his hunter safety test at 7. Missed one question on the test. His hockey interferes with big game hunting but we did manage to go Antelope hunting last October. He got his first kill at 470 yds with a 260AI I had built for him last year. He spent most of last summer shooting prairie dogs with the rifle. I think prairie dog shooting with their big game rifle is a fantastic way to prepare a kid for big game hunting. TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND FISHING. THE TIME YOU HAVE NOW IS THE ONLY CHANCE YOU GET!

I think one answer is missing "my wife and kids don't hunt and I like it that way". Seriously, this is my escape from being choked up with estrogen around the house (I only have girls).

My wife has shot several deer before married to me. She shot an awesome whitetail buck with about foot long G1s while pregnant with our first son. Then shot a nice doe while pregnant with our second son while I was carrying my first son next to her. Our third son she didn't get a deer but not because of her trying (wanted a bigger buck). Didn't shoot one with our fourth son (was busy with other three and relatives busy couldn't babysit) but she has enough preference points to get buck anywhere and anytime. Maybe she will shoot one with our fifth son inside of her this fall. Oh ya I need to still get the fifth son in her. :D

kudos to Len on once again coming up with an interesting poll. thanks for your web site and it's ability to draw such a rich variety of experienced shooters and hunters.
my wife likes to shoot some. likes her 300 WM most (go figure, women..). i think she is afraid of wounding an animal. my oldest son loves to hunt (just got his first muskox this winter). second son hunts occ. third son could care less, has hunted but would like to chase girls instead. step son loves to shoot hasnt decided on hunting yet. only daughter-13 loves to shoot and loves to go hunting, just doesnt want to shoot anything yet.

Hi Guys.

My 14 year old daughter also started hunting this year and she loves it. Can't get the wife to hunt , but she likes target shooting.

This is a Blue wildebeest that she shot in April 2011.

Attachments

• 100_2398.jpg
    100_2398.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 27
my children have grown up and their wifes would not let them kill Bambi(for shame ,for shame ) but now it's come arround to bite them in the rear end ,,,my only grandson is a hunter and a half,he's 11 and already i've taught him more than his dad or mom knows about the outdoors ..we turkey hunt,deer hunt,squirrel hunt and now he's girl huntin' hahahaha .told him he better leave that alone or he'd be in the same boat as his dad about huntin''think i discouraged him for a bit anyway's :)

My wife has no interest. My 11 year old daughter loves it all. She shoots trap, rifles, and hunts anything and everything. She even wants to start trapping. Not sure if I want to tackle that. My 9 year old likes to shoot but does't want to hurt the animals.

Where's the option for "Only kid hunts" :rolleyes:
I've been working on converting my dad, making some progress. Younger Brother (14) shot a LR steel match with me a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, hopefully i'll be able to take them both hunting this year, but with college applications and all, i unfortunately don't see as many days afield as last year.

Both of our fathers hunted some in Missouri and we both went with them on local hunts, mostly for turkeys. Neither of us particularly enjoyed killing animals when we were young. I lost any enthusiasm for killing during the Vietnam war and haven't shot a living thing since then. I got in to target shooting about 25 years ago. I mostly enjoy gunsmithing, ballistics, and long range target shooting. Where I live now has deer, black bear, javelina, and some mountain lions. My property is surrounded by the Coconino Mational Forest where I can legally hunt, but there would be no sport for me in shooting them. I enjoy the animals more alive than dead.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.