Do Primers Go Bad

Two years ago I had a FTF issue with my 35 Whelen ammunition. Went through a couple of thousand different primers. Then I read about Ruger rifles having striker spring problems, replaced the striker spring from a 17 pound to a 24 pound spring, primer problem solved!! I wouldn't have thought striker spring because my son's Whelen was also having FTF issues also. Can you try these primers in another rifle to see if you can replicate the problem. I also use an RCBS hand priming tool, no problems

Last edited:
I use the RCBS Primer Loader, in concert with the Holland Primer Seating Tools. Great tool, as you can set the primer depth, that's the most efficient. I set my Creedmoor Primer depth ~.007". My Grendel rounds are set to ~.005" -> .006". I keep my Primers in the safe at 40% - 50% humidity. And in Florida during the rainy Season, loaded Bullets, Primers, and Powder have Dry Pack bags close by. I have run into Primers that get damp. Just throw them into a Tupperware container and drop either a large Dry-Pack, or Rice (before it's cooked....LOL) into it and put the top on. 3 days it has taken to dry 250 Primers. And NO misfires. Thought I'd put that RCBS Primer Loading station up. Darrell Holland has a great setup, and the price is reasonable. Tell Darrel I mentioned him.......very informative fellow. https://hollandguns.com/
Relaoding Bench 2019.jpg

I have recently used primers and powder I purchased in 1984 with no problems but have kept them stored in their original containers and dry conditions.

I was out shooting some reloads yesterday in a 6.5 CM comparing them to some factory loads. I had a couple hang fires and a couple no fire in the reloads. There's plenty of primer/pin contact and no issues with the factory loads. All I can figure is that the primers are too old?
I inherited my brothers reloading equipment and supplies several years ago, he had primers that he kept in an ammo can since the late 70s. There was always a desiccant in the can. I have used some of the old primers and have had no issues. Properly stored, ammo and components can last almost indefinitely. When I load, I am more concerned with handling primers and keeping oil or moisture away while I seat them than how old they are.

Have fired re-loads that I made in 1964 using the old Lee pound 'em with a mallet - every one goes bang. I routinely fire off a couple of the old reloads near the first of every year just to see if they still fire-so far all have worked as expected-I even chrono them and they all are still within my expected SD.
Storage has been in every basement closet in every house I ever lived in -
Having used well in excess of 50,000 primers over the past 60 years the only misfires came about when I did not size the case properly or failed to seat the primers adequately and even then I can count on one hand the failures.
So, could you have gotten a "bad" batch- I guess but my money is on operator error.

Just my internet opinion and it is worth exactly what you paid for it--:)

I'm pretty sure they can go bad, as can powder. But it depends on how they were stored, as others have already said. I have some that are at least 19 years old, my old Y2K stash. I just loaded some up this past month for varmints, they shot just fine.

Never had issues with old (40 years in some cases) primers. Oil and water/liquids are the main culprits I believe...seat properly...clean flash hole

I really don't know how old. A good guess would be a couple years. I bought them from a guy that I have bought a lot of reloading supplies from. TRhey are a box of 1000 and there's no appearance of any moisture.The brass would have been vibratory walnut cleaned.They would be CCI primers.
It takes a very long time for primers to go bad, I've got some that are 20 yrs old that I load my 223 with never had a problem, ok dont laugh but I needed primers and all they had in small rifle was those off the wall ones, use them for tgt practice and I've still got a bunch left. Might as well use them.

been reloading for years and only had about 3 that did not go off & they were my fault. as far as old primers - had some for years (all makes) and never had a problem. the ones that did not go off were not seated deep enough, popped them out of the casing hit them with a hammer to see if they were any good and guess what -- THEY WENT OFF.

In the mid 90s I bought a couple of partial sleeves that were in wooden trays. I used them up before 2000. With a couple of exceptions they all fired.
I bought some mildew odor sleeves at Gun shows- they all fired.
Recently I had some misfires in my Marlin 336CB. I attributed it to contaminated primers due to my carelessness in priming the cases!

Under normal storage conditions (kept at a constant temp, no excessive moisture, etc...) they can last nearly indefinitely. This is why loaded ammo from the late 1800's can still be fired if it was fully-sealed and stored in a constant temperature. Think of the old spam can .30-06 ammo from WW1, or really old Swedish 6.5x55 mil-surp ammo stored in sealed metal cans still being useable and stable. I do all my loading in a spare room inside my house (temp controlled, no moisture), and store all my components the same for this reason.

I use the RCBS Primer Loader, in concert with the Holland Primer Seating Tools. Great tool, as you can set the primer depth, that's the most efficient. I set my Creedmoor Primer depth ~.007". My Grendel rounds are set to ~.005" -> .006". I keep my Primers in the safe at 40% - 50% humidity. And in Florida during the rainy Season, loaded Bullets, Primers, and Powder have Dry Pack bags close by. I have run into Primers that get damp. Just throw them into a Tupperware container and drop either a large Dry-Pack, or Rice (before it's cooked....LOL) into it and put the top on. 3 days it has taken to dry 250 Primers. And NO misfires. Thought I'd put that RCBS Primer Loading station up. Darrell Holland has a great setup, and the price is reasonable. Tell Darrel I mentioned him.......very informative fellow. https://hollandguns.com/View attachment 128369
Awesome set up !

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet. I just skimmed through the thread. If your firing pin/bolt internals are all gummed up or dirty/or part failure in the trigger assembly and bolt assembly the pin could be riding forward too slow and not striking the primer with enough force to detonate it. I've seen a few instances on rifles where a primer is indented but didn't go off due not being struck hard enough. Another issue is short striking again the primer can be indented but not go off due to not enough firing pin protrusion. Something to check the box on before you condemn the primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts