DNR regulations on how rifle must be transported on PRIVATE LAND

westcliffe01

How many other states have DNR restrictions that prohibit the transportation of rifles on any form of wheeled vehicle unless unloaded in chamber and magazine and cased ?

That we are generally not allowed to transport rifles outside of their cases or with loaded magazines on public roads seems to be enough of an infringement already, but on private land ????

What is the status of this issue in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Montana ?

Reference to Michigan law here:DNR - Transporting Firearms, Crossbows, and Bows and Arrows

Transporting Firearms, Crossbows, and Bows and Arrows

These rules apply whether your vehicle is parked, stopped, moving or is on private or public property. Firearms must be unloaded in the barrel, and all arrows must be in a quiver when a hunter is afield outside the legal hunting hours.

At all times when carried in or on a motor vehicle, including snowmobiles:

* Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

* Crossbows, slingshots, and bows and arrows must be enclosed in a case or unstrung or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

At all times, when carried in or on an ORV:

* Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger-housing mechanism.

* Crossbows, slingshots, and bows and arrows must be enclosed in a case or unstrung.

At all times, when carried in or on a motor-propelled boat or sailboat:

* Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine when the motor is operating or the boat is under sail.

* Firearms may not be loaded until the forward momentum of the boat has ceased.

Exception: These rules do not apply to a pistol carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. See Statewide Handgun Regulations.

I don't remember reading anything like that in the Montana hunting regulations. Normally, a game warden can't be on private land without a landowner's permission. The exception is when he is in hot pursuit. In that case, he isn't interested in you anyway....unless it's you he is pursueing.

I'm doing a lot of my night time varmint hunting with a high power air rifle. It is not subject to firearms laws. I carry it loaded, but hammer uncocked, in my pickup all the time that I am driving around with it. Jumping out to kill a varmint I spotted is usually how it works.

I've lived here 5 years come next spring and have yet to meet my first game warden. I have met BLM Rangers. They are concerned you don't drive off the roads, and I have yet to see them show interest in DNR laws.

What is a game warden doing on private land in Michigan? Aren't they trespassing without owner permission? How many times have you seen a game warden on private land? I saw zero on our farm in Arkansas and in Minnesota the whole time I was growing up.

In your case, I would say that if you happen to see a game warden on private land, you might want to unload the gun if you are driving a vehicle. I'm not going to worry about it. You don't have it that bad. In Sweden the bolt has to be out of the rifle and stored away from the rifle.

In WI I believe a warden can go on private land if they; have reasonable suspicion of a violation, or are checking for lic. of hunters fisherman in the act.

We just recently were alowed to carry uncased firearms in motor vehicles, due to passing CCW. Weather you have the permit or not. I'm not sure if this applies to atvs but I did read you could uncase in a boat.

I know colorado still requires rifles to be cased when on an atv.

Discussion on the Michigan Gun Owners forum recently regarding people being cited by the DNR, for amongst other things, not declaring possession of concealed weapons. It sounds like the vehicles were stopped while on public roads.

MGO Community Forum

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.