Digital Scale and Accuracy

samson

I recently purchased a Cabelas digital powder scale, thinking that it would be easier and faster to measure with, than the RCBS balance beam. When I place the powder into the pan, it gives me the reading, but when I use the trickler after that, it doesn't raise the initial reading until it is way over the target load. Why is this happening?(So much for easier) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That is the way the affordable scales are. they try to retain zero with small shifts (like trickling)

take the pan off, trickle a guesstimate, and put the pan back on.

JB

try the lyman 1200 dps

I have used it and as long as you don't get it close to any other operating electronic devices it works great.

Steve

samson,
if you bought it at Cabela's take it back ,they are great for returns. this is a no contest category. the new RCBS chargemaster combo (1500scale and dispencer)is the neatest thing to come along since aftermarket breast enhancement.
the only problem is that my old Powder Pro scale ( that cost me $150 is worth nothing more than target practice).
they are a little spendy,but if you want to go digital this is the best.
UB

simple solution..

RCBS dispencer and scale or PACT.. they are the same product.. works great!!!!

I'm going on the record against electronic scales for reloading. I wonder how many check their scales against their beam scale for accuracy? With a beam scale, you can see if moving, changing, breathing and it lets me know "it's working". I trust my big Ohaus 304. I don't need to worry about batteries and the effects that low voltage will do to an LED reading.

For quick work such as weighing brass or bullets into groups, electronics are fine. For telling me I've just added .1 or even .05 grains of powder, I trust that twitchin, teeter-totering beam. I do agree that when trickling, it's best to trickle, pick up the pan and reset it back on the electronic scale. With my beam, I lightly touch the beam to get it moving in the same direction every time. One of the keys to consistency which is one of the keys to accuracy is doing the same thing everytime.

Oh yeah! I also like to throw powders from my Harrel's measure when feasible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Big Al

[ QUOTE ]
I recently purchased a Cabelas digital powder scale, thinking that it would be easier and faster to measure with, than the RCBS balance beam. When I place the powder into the pan, it gives me the reading, but when I use the trickler after that, it doesn't raise the initial reading until it is way over the target load. Why is this happening?(So much for easier)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem I see w/ digitals as well. From my experience w/ digitals they aren't nearly as fast as Beam scales and they aren't as accurate either. The only use I've gotten from my digital is weight sorting brass and bullets and for that, it works great.

Reloader

samson,
I use a Pact digital scale mainly because i do a lot of handloading at the range, it is not effected by wind our vibration from other people walking through the reloading hut.
With half a dozen or so guys loading for bullet testing and the traffic in and out of the reloading hut to the firing points, you can see where a digital scale is advantageous.
I also use it at home where i have no trouble trickling a tenth of a grain.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Where was the scale made? If it was China take it back! I have used a Pact for over ten years with out problems.Every time I check with known weights its on the money. The new RCBS unit is tops from the reports that I get back from customers who use them.
Old Bear

I also use the RCBS, it works fine but is slow to change when trickling up. For me the distance from the end of my finger to the mid joint on the trickler is about .1gr so I know about when I am there and I just have to wait for confirmation. The only down side is that mine must have a brand new battery almost every time I use it. (which is only every other month or so).

First I purchased a digital scale on eBay, then I bought a chronograph. My muzzle velocities varied by as much as 100 fps. I pulled the bullets apart and found up to 0.4 grains discrepancies according to my balance beam scale. I went back to my old scale, velocities are now consistent. I wouldn't even bother to try and sell the scale to someone else, it's crap. It says US Weight on it, but it's made in China...go figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.