What brand reloading scale, digital or beam ballance accuracy

Fliers are there because something in the load or you're shooting was different. Having a good scale can eliminate that variable so you can move on to the next one. If someone told long ago that for $450 I could have done away with a ton of wasted trips to the range, wasted bullets, wasted powder, wasted time, etc. I would have said no way. After all the beams, Chargemaster, Gempro, Accu-touch, etc I bought an FX-120i and it never drifts like a Gempro 250 and you don't have to pick up the pan and set it down again. The Gempro won't register a kernel being placed in the pan unless you pick it up and set it back down or touch it with tweezers. Then 10 cartridges later when you put the empty pan back it reads 0.08 or -0.06. You really have to stay on top of it.
With a good scale you can weigh powder, bullets, brass, etc. accurately, reliably, and FAST eliminating those variables from your equation.
My life is simpler now and I would have paid twice that. Ask anyone if they regret upgrading their scale. Maybe I'm wrong but I certainly consider mine well worth the investment.

Wedgy , I couldn't agree more . I went from a 10-10 to the FX-120i and couldn't be happier . I put the bulk of my powder in the pan with a Lee spoon . as I trickle up to my desired weight I can watch the scale numbers keep adding . no hesitation , and no fussing around with trying to get it to read the new amount . it's a nice scale .

I have the old RCBS Partner digital scale that only measures .1 of a grain, will a scale that measures .02 of a grain be a better choice for shooting 1000 yards? Will a GemPro250 suffice?

I can throw a charge of powder measured just below what my final weight is then finalize it with a trickler on my beam scale with precise accuracy just about as fast as the chargemaster can and with absolute precision.
I use the new RCBS 505 beam scale...... So far it works to perfection.

Just a thought
Good luck
This is my method as well.

Also.... If you do a optimum charge weight work up, the small changes in charge weight make little difference. A tenth of a grain one way or the other won't show up on paper or on a Chrony. It's not the powder, it's the lack of sensitivity in our current scales and Chronys. There is exceptions, like very small capacity cartridges.. But for the most part, if you have a good CLEAN beam scale or a good electronic scale, the fliers are from something else.

I had a starter scale, it was a RCBS RC 130 and it was all plastic except for the beam and balance weights. It was like $45.00 new. I used it for a few years, and wanted to upgrade to a new scale. So I ordered both a 5-0-5 and a Chargemaster. After getting both, I checked the accuracy of all three, and the cheap RC 130 was just as accurate as the other two. I sold the RC 130 and the Chargemaster...

This is my method as well.

Also.... If you do a optimum charge weight work up, the small changes in charge weight make little difference. A tenth of a grain one way or the other won't show up on paper or on a Chrony. It's not the powder, it's the lack of sensitivity in our current scales and Chronys. There is exceptions, like very small capacity cartridges.. But for the most part, if you have a good CLEAN beam scale or a good electronic scale, the fliers are from something else.

I had a starter scale, it was a RCBS RC 130 and it was all plastic except for the beam and balance weights. It was like $45.00 new. I used it for a few years, and wanted to upgrade to a new scale. So I ordered both a 5-0-5 and a Chargemaster. After getting both, I checked the accuracy of all three, and the cheap RC 130 was just as accurate as the other two. I sold the RC 130 and the Chargemaster...

I love my 5-0-5 scale. Unfortunately they stopped selling them. The few that were still available are twice as expensive now because people are price gouging.

Throwing charges and trickling doesn't take too long, but I still get impatient when I'm waiting for the scale to calm down and show the measurement. I had a plan for a short time to get a 2nd 5-0-5 and 2nd trickler to keep on my bench. Plan was to throw charges and while 1 scale was calming down, throw a charge for the other scale. Then trickle... In theory this would eliminate any wait time. However I reminded myself I shouldn't be in that much of a hurry while reloading and decided against it. Although, I still think this would be a fast and accurate way to measure every powder throw.

I love my 5-0-5 scale. Unfortunately they stopped selling them. The few that were still available are twice as expensive now because people are price gouging.

Throwing charges and trickling doesn't take too long, but I still get impatient when I'm waiting for the scale to calm down and show the measurement. I had a plan for a short time to get a 2nd 5-0-5 and 2nd trickler to keep on my bench. Plan was to throw charges and while 1 scale was calming down, throw a charge for the other scale. Then trickle... In theory this would eliminate any wait time. However I reminded myself I shouldn't be in that much of a hurry while reloading and decided against it. Although, I still think this would be a fast and accurate way to measure every powder throw.

Yea I really like my 5-0-5. I'm like you, I really don't want to get in a big hurry in my reloading room, simply because I enjoy it very much.

The good thing about the 5-0-5 is RCBS's customer service. They will replace anything that goes bad with no questions asks. As long as they are in business, I believe this will be the case..

My Scott Parker tuned Ohaus 10-10 is accurate and repeatable to a single kernal of H4350.

Part of the accuracy issue for electronic balances and scales is the physical location where you are going to use it. My garage, for example, has florescent lights, and the fuse box and control box forthe sprinkler system located w/in 8 feet of the reloading bench (not to mentions drafts and breezes that flow through the garage to ventilate the place). An electronic scale isn't feasible in that location absent some kind of Faraday cage.

JeffVN

Maybe that explains why mine is all over the place! I have a LED light over my bench! Never thought of "Noise" causing it? I use a beam now...

I use an older rcbs 10-10 scale. It's reliable. I also have a 505 and a no name digital.
The 10-10 is my go to. I use same as others, I set my thrower with it then trickle in the last few grains. The digital does get temperamental if it's not level, electrical interference, i have even noticed it jump a little when the air comes on in the house, pressure difference I suppose.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.