Digital Headspace Gauge

Have you tried making a calibration case with a mark for the screw? I have a once-fired case "set" for each caliber I shoot for just that purpose. And I also use a Sinclair bushing set to double check the Hornady.
I doubt aligning the screw with a mark on your brass would be as accurate and repeatable as using the Hornady bushings or as fast to change the setup. But if that's close enough for you, go for it. The Hornady tool also has other uses like measuring concentricity of bullets in the loaded brass, etc. Don't know the price difference between the 2 tools, but these are some things to consider.

Last edited:
Regarding The Larry Willis, IT Headspace Gauge:
Dedicate one case for each caliber as your "standard"... your "standard" for each caliber is sized exactly as you would have sized all other brass for that caliber... mark, put standards away safe where they won't be consumed... when you want to check reloads done prior for a certain caliber, or size more brass for future reloads, measure your standard, zero the unit on it, then measure your reload... doesn't matter where the adjustment screw was, ever, just as long as you measure standard and cases in question the same... IT Headspace gauge is not a "Headspace Gauge" as it's a "Comparator"... The number it provides you is only relevant to comparisons... The Hornady unit does the exact same thing, except, reloaders think the number it proivides is an empirical measurement.... It is not... Both are "Comparators".. I use the Larry Willis device... Works very well and very fast... Just elevate it near eye level as your neck will quickly become sore looking at it, if you don't.....

Last edited:
I have found that calibrating my brass means it is repeatable - the goal of any reloading process. IMHO "close enough" may not BE enough. Because of the sharp edge on the Hornady bushing, it can result in an erroneous reading. That is why, regardless of what tool use, I ALWAYS cross check it with the another, such as my Sinclair with the beveled edge, and vice versa. Or I use other measuring tools at my disposal such as my RCBS Precision Mic, or Forster Datum Dial kit. I have enough data in my reloading logs over time that I am confident in my brass measurements. And, as in any reloading processes, we each decide what works best for us. am sure every member on the forum does the same.

I looked at the Hornady Measurement Station on Midway and it show's discontinued.
Midway seems to label things in that way when they don't have a restock date.

The Hornady Station is a nice, heavy base; it's got v-roller bed, and it's actually set up without a ton of extraneous junk on it. The draw backs to me at the dial is pretty cheap, and there doesn't seem to be a way to use a test indicator on the rollers. If they had a second clamp on the stem for one of those it would arguably be one of the best products on the market for the majority of loaders, and that's abnormally high praise of a Big Red product from me.

IMO the Hornady system is more repeatable due to the various headspace bushings
I would agree, except they insist on only offering the inserts in aluminum. Sinclair's were steel and IMO a better quality, if not actually any more precise at least more consistent.

The RCBS and LE Wilson mics are probably the most precise way of measuring this, but the repeatability of the Hornady/Sinclair system isn't as bad as I usually rag on them for being. I still much prefer my SAC comparators.

The statement eschafer posted is important to more than just headspacing.
We should each hold a dummy round standard for each of our chambers.
For me, I have two. One exactly fully fire formed case, and one sized from there, with a bullet seated to tested best CBTO.
Where I have multiple bullets for a chamber, I have a dummy round with each bullet at it's best CBTO.

Most of the time I use a shouldered gizzy from a barrel cutoff for headspace measure. Since it's cut with the same reamer as a chamber, I keep it in a box with all other reloading items -specific to that chamber(including dummy rounds).
For CBTO Measure I'm content with a Sinclair 'Nut'. It's simple and just works really well for me.

I have a Willis comparator around here, and it would work fine with a quick zeroing on a dummy case. Must have bought it for another potential though, and I can't remember what that was right now... It's a nice tool
I have a lot of stuff that I bought #1 for the education, and #2 for future projects (sometimes both unrelated to reloading).

Headspace measurement is mechanical; the only thing digital is the indicator. Larry makes excellent products, and they work.

There are a few methods to accomplish this. It boils down to personal preference. Good luck!

Feenix- Thanks for showing the Digital of Larry Willis. I will be getting myself one.

Regarding The Larry Willis, IT Headspace Gauge:
Dedicate one case for each caliber as your "standard"... your "standard" for each caliber is sized exactly as you would have sized all other brass for that caliber... mark, put standards away safe where they won't be consumed... when you want to check reloads done prior for a certain caliber, or size more brass for future reloads, measure your standard, zero the unit on it, then measure your reload... doesn't matter where the adjustment screw was, ever, just as long as you measure standard and cases in question the same... IT Headspace gauge is not a "Headspace Gauge" as it's a "Comparator"... The number it provides you is only relevant to comparisons... The Hornady unit does the exact same thing, except, reloaders think the number it proivides is an empirical measurement.... It is not... Both are "Comparators".. I use the Larry Willis device... Works very well and very fast... Just elevate it near eye level as your neck will quickly become sore looking at it, if you don't.....
After following this thread with interest, I will offer my opinion. I really like the term "comparator". While I do use "dummy cases" for baselines in some scenarios, different bullets seating depths and such within the same caliber. With this gauge, and in my humblest opinion, the fired case IS your dummy case, and this tool will help you determine the measurement of shoulder bump you have or intend to use. The ultimate in KISS systems for this application, not to say other comparators can't provide the same data. Load different brand brass with the same load and check brass bounce back. Confirm lot number brass differences in once fired scenarios. It is a very good tool and not caliber specific. I get that it may not be repeatable historically, like did I set it in the exact same position as the last time I measured, probably not, but not going there.

Now, I have read some fireformed brass sometimes needs more than the first fire forming to get the true form of the chamber (don't argue the point, I didn't state this). This tool will help you in that regard. Fire form once-first time/keep a case, twice/keep a case and so on, base line on the first case then measure the others against the base line first case (by zeroing the gauge on it). Now you have data to determine whether this is necessary or not in your application. YMMV. And Thanks to everyone here for teaching me a bunch.

The brass in one of my chambers did not need it's 1st bump until 8 firings.
But, it's more common for me that shoulder bumping is needed from 3 to 5 firings.
With 30deg shoulder angles it seems needed every time after 1st bump.

I've never seen brass fully fire form in just 1 or 2 shots