Digital Headspace Gauge

barrycuda

Does anyone use the digital headspace gauge from Innovative Technologies (Larry Willis)? Your thoughts please.

Does anyone use the digital headspace gauge from Innovative Technologies (Larry Willis)? Your thoughts please.
Headspace measurement is mechanical; the only thing digital is the indicator. Larry makes excellent products, and they work.

There are a few methods to accomplish this. It boils down to personal preference. Good luck!

I was not aware of Innovative Technologies tools. They appear to be producing a few items to take your reloading to the next level.
He sure does. The tool in question has been out for over a decade now. I own one of his belted collet sizing dies (a very innovative design) for a few years now, but I have yet to use it. IIRC, he is now retired but sure if he sold the company.

There are a few methods to accomplish this. It boils down to personal preference. Good luck!
Agreed, there are multiple ways to skin this cat. My requirements are consistency and repeatability, if those two things can be got out of a process or tool then for me I say that works. Usually the dial or test gauge is the weakest link IMO, but sometimes design is a problem.

Even Big Red has tried to crack into the precision case measurement space:

Yes, I have one and I like it. You can zero on a fired case' datum and then adjust your die until you get the desired shoulder bump. It's universal and will work on all bottle necked cases.

I have it and like it quite a bit. I'm a neck-sizing guy…so when I start to feel resistance when closing my bolt(s) it's time to zero the gauge on that case and size accordingly with a body die. Like @FEENIX I also have Larry's Belted Collet die…….and have yet to use it. 😇

I have had one for a short while and find it much handier than other methods for shoulder set back when sizing .243 WSSM in an AR 15 platform .004 to .005 set back is necessary versus the .001 to .002 needed in a bolt action. I have two of these AR15 in the WISM'S, and their headspace varies .001.

IMO the Hornady system is more repeatable due to the various headspace bushings which contact the shoulder in exactly the same place each time you change a bushing. It appears the IT requires you to adjust the horizontal screw touching the shoulder to align it where it contacts the shoulder about halfway up the shoulder. So, each time you change the IT to a different cartridge, this screw would need to be adjusted and would contact the shoulder in a different spot on the shoulder. For a one time measurement this would be OK, but to check your reloads much later after measuring/reloading other cartridges, it would be difficult to get the contact screw in the exact same location and therefore not be as repeatable as using a bushing.

I also use his belted collet die to squeeze the belted area back when it swells too large. Works like a champ to save brass.

Last edited:
IMO the Hornady system is more repeatable due to the various headspace bushings which contact the shoulder in exactly the same place each time you change a bushing. It appears the IT requires you to adjust the horizontal screw touching the shoulder to align it where it contacts the shoulder about halfway up the shoulder. So, each time you change the IT to a different cartridge, this screw would need to be adjusted and would contact the shoulder in a different spot on the shoulder. For a one time measurement this would be OK, but to check your reloads much later after measuring/reloading other cartridges, it would be difficult to get the contact screw in the exact same location and therefore not be as repeatable as using a bushing.

I also use his belted collet die to squeeze the belted area back when it swells too large. Works like a champ to save brass.
Have you tried making a calibration case with a mark for the screw? I have a once-fired case "set" for each caliber I shoot for just that purpose. And I also use a Sinclair bushing set to double check the Hornady.