Did I have unrealistic expectations?

Has anyone seen this before?
Yep. Personally I think you are cleaning way too much. I also think you have a rifle that is eventually going to meet your expectations.

You have a high quality scope and a pretty good barreled receiver. The weak point on your Savage is the synthetic stock. All other things being "right",( ie. bases tightened, rings installed correctly, receiver bolts torqued correctly etc. etc.) shifting impact will either be the barrel "adjusting" after cleaning or the stock. For example, I had a Savage Tactical in .308. After cleaning it would not begin to really shoot great until I had fired 11 rounds. If I did not clean it after a range session it would shoot 5 shot groups better than 1MOA for 50 or 60 rounds before accuracy began to deteriorate. The best way to find out what your particular rifle likes is to shoot it and find out.

If there is one load that seems to work in every 243 I have ever had, it is the 85gr Sierra HPBT over 43.5g of H4831. It is a mild load but over the years it has shown to be very accurate in lots of 243's...both mine and others.

It is funny you suggest Sierra hpbt, I just purchased a box Monday. I found in my .223 and .22-250 that the 55 gr bthp game king has been one of my most accurate rounds over varget and I was hoping the sierras might be a good confidence builder for the savage. I will load a few up tonight and add that to the list of rounds to try for the weekend. One thing that I have noticed and really appreciate so far about this forum is the fact that I am getting positive and helpful advice. It seems, on most forums, that there is usually someone wanting to stray from subject at hand and start a argument or go straight to bashing your equipment. Thank you.

First problem you started out with the wrong action and wrong caliber for 1000 yard shooting. savage in most cases shoots well due to there soft barrels. The soft barrel is the only reason that they shoot well. they can be drilled straight thus rifled straight. it has nothing to do with there actions. Hand load close to lands with sierra match kings close to lands about .005 off. if its going to shoot good at all it will. if not scrap it and go with a 260 remington in a 700 remington. better b.c. better cartrage. better gun. keep your scope its ok.

What powder/primer combo are you using the 243 win will shoot well with a host of different powders etc. Also look at the berger 95 gr classic hunter. good with 1 in 10 twist. Everything higher is 1 in 9 or 8.

Berger has a Rate of twist calculator on their web site.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I would double check that the barrel and tang are free floated as mentioned above. It sounds to me like one or both are touching at least when it heats up. 95-105gr bullets will do you best out to 1000 yards and should get you there easily. H4350, H4831 and reloader 17 are the powders that have worked best with me with the 95-105gr bullets.

Savage accuracy has almost everything to do with their receivers. Behind that "ugly" barrel nut lurks a floating bolt head. That is why Savage has a reputation for accuracy. Got to admit though after over 40 years of building on and gunsmithing Savages "soft barrels" is a new one!

savage recivers were designed for production and ease of manufactoring with accuracy in mind. floating bolt head ? why not just make true to start with? adjustable headspace? why not thread and chamber to correct dept to start with? 3 sets of threads? nut, barrel, and action more marge for error. why do high in Gunsmiths check and surface the lug between the barrel and the action and surface the face of action? the 3 threaded surfaces cause more issues with perfect true center when under load. why do you think team savege uses blueprinted actions that have aftermarket bolt heads by ptg. and use aftermarket barrels and aftermarket lugs & nut have you ever turned or worked on a savage ftr stainless barrel just like the xxx dougas softer than butter. i did not say savage rifles shoot poorly. there barrels are one on the reasons they shoot good most ofthe time. i have may times cut re threaded re chambered in the same caliber savage barrels and installed them on remington actions and they shoot better on the remington than they do on the savage. many of the ftr shooters are converting there savages to a remington style barrel lug set up. Only the unwise would convert 60 years of domunation benchrest shooting design to a savage. but that just my openion.????

It seems, on most forums, that there is usually someone wanting to stray from subject at hand and start a argument or go straight to bashing your equipment.
Ya think!:D

Ghost7. Keep us up to date on your progress.

I don't think so.

There are a lot of us who like Savage rifles and there is a lot of experience around, especially over at savageshooters, so I'll bet you get it to shoot like you want. I built a 243 for my son several years ago using a Shilen Select Match barrel, hand lapped with a 1-8 twist. Very good barrel but it just did not like some factory stuff at all. Had me really upset for a while. Those barrels aint' cheap! Finally after experimenting with both handloads and factory stuff I found what it liked and it shot lights out great.

Let's see how quick this one deteriorates. Because this is such a new ball game to me I will pose another elementary question, should I full length size or just neck size my once fired brass through the savage at this point in the game? I currently only have 100 rounds of brass. I know someone will tell me to buy lapua or Norma brass but what I have right now is remington brass. I fully understand that it is not the best brass as my savage is not the best rifle but it is what I have on hand at the present. I would appreciate any helpful input in this area as well.

wbm, that is good to hear. Seems to be a lot of animosity towards the savage but even though I haven't had much time with this rifle and am not satisfied with performance at this point I really do like the rifle. It is pleasant to shoot, I like the trigger and the action isn't bad. Oh yeah...I think it's a cool looking rifle despite what others think. Basically I need it to perform as I'm getting attached to it.

Actually it is not necessarily an either or. 243 brass like the 308 is known for stretching so neck sizing tends to hold that down. On the other hand you will need to do a full length resize from time to time. As far as brass I have mostly used Winchester in the 243 over the years. I have used Lapua and it is fine brass but it costs fine too. So again it is kinda personal preference.

As far as the 243 at 1000. It can get you there.

Whidden Shares Championship Secrets within AccurateShooter.com

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.