Developing For Tikka in .308

RedRanger328

Hey guys, I'm new to reloading and wanted to pick some more knowledgeable brains. I'm currently attempting to develop a load for my Tikka T3x CTR in .308. My purpose is something I can just use one bullet for everything. I'm a pretty good shot, and still planning to hone it, so I'm not specifically worried about not placing my shot. I don't fire unless I know I've got it.

Barrel is 20" with a 1 in 11" twist rate.

I've got:

Hornady 180gr SST
Hornady 178gr ELD-M
Hornady 178gr A-MAX

Lots of IMR 4064
A small amount of Varget

I can get other bullets, but this is what I had to start with. Since I had two boxes of the 180 SSTs, I started with them. Here's my first round:
Untitled-2.jpg

My friends who have been reloading a bit longer suggested I go with a 150-160gr bullet and push it as fast as it will go. I'm not convinced that blanket suggestion is all there is. I understand 180gr might be a big large. They suggested Sierra GK bullets in that spread. I can find Hornady bullets no problemo, but Sierra bullets are a little rarer.

I've wondered, from perusing the internets about stepping up the powder charge for the 180gr, as it looked like the bullets started closing again. No pressure warnings so far. I've also wondered if I shouldn't scrap the 180gr and try and get 168gr ELD-Ms?

Forgot to add this was only 100 yards.

Last edited:
Looks like those 180 SSTs are working well in your rifle. I see no reason to switch to a different bullet if those are doing everything you want them to do.

ydanroh's might be available.. but definitely not my first choice

1:10 twist is the problem spinning the heavier bullets ..is the reason they suggested staying in the 150 to165 range... my 308 doesnt like 175+ anything

maybe try a fast 165-168 mono .. barnes

if you open that varget .. youll be looking for it forever . a never ending disappintment . i recommend waiting until to have 8 to 300 lbs on hand before you see if you like it