Detachable mags for rem 700

Weblake

I am fixing to buy a detachable mag bottom metal for my 700 SA and I was wondering if one is better than another as far as smoothness strength and ease of install. Thanks..

I just installed Stiller's bottom metal on my 6BR TAC-30. It uses the AI 5 and 10 round magazines.

Of course, I had to tweak the feed lips and block it in for the short/fat cartridge. But, it feeds like a dream and shouldn't require any tweaking for a lot of cartridges.

-- richard

Have a look at the DBM section of this article... 6.5x47 Lapua Tactical TackDriver

Keep in mind, I'm not saying you have to go high dollar. But, I a lot of the aftermarket bottom metal guys use the AI magazines. They are solid, maintainable, repairable, and reliable.

The Remington DBM should also work fine.

-- richard

As said above there are a lot of DBM's on the market right now with more to come i'm sure. Take a solid look at what you are going to do with the rifle, my hang up was that eyesore of a tab sticking off the bottom of the trigger guard as you will see in a great many of DBM's, functional? yes. Ugly as hell? yes. Possibility of inadvertently ejecting your mag when the tab catches on something? yep.

If your going to be beating this thing in the field, I prefer something more refined like the Seekins or APA. Much harder to "accidently" spit your mag out at the wrong time. I have an HS Precision system on my 6-284, nearly flush fit with the stock & the release is protected.

When inserted, you can't hardly even see it & still retains 3rnds.

Attachments

• 6-284 Pic.jpg
    6-284 Pic.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 138
I know what you mean about the mag box release.
Mine (Stiller) is the style you described and I had the same concern initially.
Having worked with it some, I'm not too concerned.
It takes more than a casual bump. I have to depress/hold and pull the mag. But, it could happen at the worst time.
We'll see how that pans out in the long run.

I hear you on that too, I run the AI mags in a McRee's chassis which uses the "tab" style release. It does take some doing to get the mag out empty, but with 5 rounds of 338RUM in there she falls right out:D
Here's what the release on the HS looks like:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts