Definitely don’t want to zero with a magnetospeed!

I see a POI shift on all my rifles and they are all sporter profile. About .5" vertical at 100. Affecting harmonics is the thing that concerns me. I try to keep the position of it on the barrel and the tension consistent. I think if that varies it tends to affect group size. When I find a good load that shoots tight groups with it on the barrel, those loads typically shoot good with it off the barrel.

I'd like to find something that keeps it from loosening up requiring frequent readjustment.

So is all of shooting, but it doesn't make sense that something that weighs so little and has so little surface area under the barrel would cause such a shift. I'm no fighter pilot though :)

There is another factor no one is talking about, taking a shot with things not in our normal array of variables, something hanging off the barrel that isn't a part of "normal"! Any distraction will magnify minor flaws in shooting habits.

My heavier varmint weight barrels impact 3-4" high with the MS sporter. The lighter sporter profiles much higher 5-7". We tested the MS at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 & 9:00 and the POI was always away from the baynet. Free recoil seemed to be the farthest from poa.
When group shooting my experience with light barrels decievingly tightened groups as in the case of a "tuner".
Theories as Lenz's law may come into play with magnets & spinning copper cylinders involved. If a majority of tests show no impact change with magneto speed totally disconnected from the rifle, then the Lenz's theory doesn't apply here. Other things as shock/gas wave moving the barrel before bullet exit are also theories.
One thing for certain group size and POI are most often affected.

I found another mount that is made from carbon fiber that is only $99 @ www.wiserprecision.com
If you search Google for Magneto Speed gun mount there is also a good video someone made who was testing it at a range.
Thanks again

I love my Wiser Precision mount. Shortened the hollow carbon tube, and fashioned an "adapter" (foam and gorilla tape, with a zip-tie pull tab) that keeps my clearance rod in there. It's a grab-and-go one piece situation.
20200103_144730.jpg

I love my Wiser Precision mount. Shortened the hollow carbon tube, and fashioned an "adapter" (foam and gorilla tape, with a zip-tie pull tab) that keeps my clearance rod in there. It's a grab-and-go one piece situation.
View attachment 166602
Good to hear as I have one coming to my front door next week. Will most definitely follow your idea. Thanks for your info!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.