Defiance ANTI-X Nitride opinions/question

Nitride is NOT a Coating like Cerakote. It has NO coating. It is just like Bluing so it is a chemical process and not coating. Don't know what they're telling you that they are going to "Bead Blast" and redo. It is a chemical reaction to the metal that changes the metal. There is no coating to "Bead Blast" off.
I would call Defiance to get the so called "Skinny" on what is real.

This came from H&M. They will have to Glass bead blast the action back down to bare metal to refinish it. They cannot renitride, nitride without having a clean surface. This came directly from the nitrider. The color is apparently 3-4 microns thick. I'm only repeating what I'm hearing directly from the source as I am also learning more about the process.

I'm not saying nitride is a coating. It's a chemical reaction due to chemicals and heat, but apparently you did have to take off the finish to refinish it.

Another concern and reservation I've had obviously. I don't know how the action passed through QA/QC. Excuses/Explanations were that the action was oily etc… I will say that everyone involved, the seller, H&M, and Defiance have all been great to work with. At this point I just hope to get my $ back and a reimbursement for the Transfer.

Last edited:
Another concern and reservation I've had obviously. I don't know how the action passed through QA/QC. Excuses/Explanations were that the action was oily etc… I will say that everyone involved, the seller, H&M, and Defiance have all been great to work with. At this point I just hope to get my $ back and a reimbursement for the Transfer.
Hope you get it resolved for the money$$$
Defiance are very good actions-top of the line. We have several along with Impact, BAT.
I am sure Defiance will back it up , but it is just the wait!

I have seen two actions (not Defiance) come back from Nitride brown like that.
My Lone Peak Fuzion Ti came back dark grey, which I actually really liked.
Not all distributors order the actions Nitrided from Defiance, a lot source it out after the fact. I know Altus does.
I would definitely send it in for a re-Nitride. They should definitely be "black".
View attachment 341033
Hey bud, what manners stock is that on the left??

I wouldn't accept a re worked action. They'll have to take .0005 off it and there's no way on earth it'll be consistent by using a hand held bead blaster.

Last edited:
I just got a nitrided bolt handle from Defiance, and it's all black except a small spot on the end of the knob is brown