Defensive Edge Class 02-08

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
Just got all of my crap put away from this years second long range hunting class. A great group of guys with a hand full of forum members. Despite the rather wet conditions the class went off without a hitch. This class by lucj was comprised of people all with Defensive Edge built rifles and all with Nightforce scopes, that was a first. Saturday was treated with alot of rain but good shooting conditions. Sunday was really nice weather wise but shooting conditions were difficult (go figure). Everyone got a really education of difficult condition shooting. When conditions are like that you miss more targets but you learn considerably more. Everyone in this class did quite well, I'd be happy to hunt with any of them.

CLASS02-08.JPG

Shawn and JR put on a great class and we had a great group of guys. I learned quite a bit in those two days and consider the class a bargain for the knowledge I gained and the guys I got to meet.

Mike

Are there guys that come with just a plain jane rifle and optics? Cuz i am interested in the class but cannot afford a custom rifle like these fine fellows have.

There were 3 300 RUM's, 1 7mm WSM, and 1 338 Edge, all wore 5.5-22 NXS's except 1 3.5-15 NXS.

SP2,

I have guys with factory rifles show up on occasion. You will need a rifle capable of consistantly shooting 1 moa, can stand to shoot 50+ rounds a day through, and has a scope with consistant repaetable target knob on it. I just don't allow shooters with rifles don't meet these specs. If you don't have equipment that will perform these tasks your class time will be terrible and you won't learn much. I have run alot of guys with stock Sendero's in magnum calibers with a Leupold turreted optic through with good success.

Mike,

Glad you could make it and had a good time.

how did the 300 rum do in comparison to the 338 edge. was/ is the difference noticable? If so, at what distance does the difference become noticable? how much do the conditions play a part in that difference?

how did the 300 rum do in comparison to the 338 edge. was/ is the difference noticable? If so, at what distance does the difference become noticable? how much do the conditions play a part in that difference?
The 300 rum did ok. That is what I was shooting with a 180 gr E-Tip bullet because I am hunting in a no lead zone. The 200 gr accubond did a little better in the wind. There was a noticable difference in the 300 gr SMK out of the edge. Brett was using 1/2 the windage I was using in some cases. Also a big difference in how the reactive targets responded by being hit by those big 300 gr. bullets, it almost knocked them out of the stands.

Defensive Edge Class Participant

I particiapted in the class this past weekend. It was a real eye opener at times. Before the class I had never shot at distances much beyond 400 yards. Now in a no wind situation with a good rifle and opticsI feel confident that I could reach out to 700 yards or farther. The class really teaches you how to read the wind. If you cannot read the wind and dope it out you will not have much success.

The guys in the class were great to work with and Shawn and JR did a superb job of teaching and setting up the class. They are both very skilled in the art of long range shooting.

I would encourage anyone that is interested in learning more about long range shooting to attend one of the classes. It is a lot of fun and your meet some great people.

Mark

would a 338RUM with either 225NAB or the 300 smk and a 6.5x20 leup LR VX3 varmit recticle in the 700XCR work and which bullet is perferred also with the 225NAB at 100yds i can shoot aroud 1/2 in groups some days better some not so good

I am really going to try and make the next or next to last class this year since your not to far from salt lake
thanks
sid

Sid,

Here is what you have to have for the class:
A rifle capable of shooting 1" at 100 yards consistantly.
A quality scope with repeatable target knobs.
The ability to shoot 60+ rounds a day through the rifle (a brake is a good idea for this as well as others)

You don't have to have these but will figure out by the end of the class you need them:
Bipod with lock
Lightweight rear bag
Anti cant level
Cheekpiece for 50mm + scopes
Muzzlebrake to spot your own shots

If you have any other q's feel free to drop me a line.

I really enjoy just reading about it. I have no doubts you all had a great time.

Shawn, what is the max number of people you would have in a one class?

Great shooting guys!

Shawn, on the recommended "bipod with lock", are you referring to a pod lock? If so, why is it needed over just the regular swivel bipod?

Class looks like lots of fun, maybe I can make one someday. Thanks, Ken

I just really like the pod lock. I just can't get the thumb nut to tighten up enough for my tastes. Most people that get a pod loc in class see a big difference in their performance. Hope to see you at a class someday.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.