Defensive Edge Class 01-08

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
The first long rnage class of the year is over. Despite having to move the field day to a new location due to the pile of snow we got this winter the class went off without any problems. I had a great group of guys this class half of them are site members here. We had pretty good weather for the class given the time of year. We did have to wait for a moose to clear the range on day one to comence shooting. Below is a photo of the class with their hits on the 1196 yard plate. To those who were at the class and reading this it was great having you there.

LRHCLASS01-08PIC.JPG

Let me be the first to say that Shawn and JR put on a first class schooling. I had a great time shooting with all the guys despite being humbled repeatedly:) Biggest thing I learned was that I have a lot more to learn!

Thanks for all the help guys! I'd certainly be up for throwing lead with you guys any time.

This was definitely a blast....Shawn and JR are definitely top shelf guys, as were the other members of the group. Looking foward to taking the advanced class now just to do some more shooting with these guys.

We did learn, that the wind will humble you. By the end of the day, we were getting better at reading it, but it still takes a hell of a lot of practice.

Great job Shawn and JR....looking foward to doing some more shooting with you guys again.

Travis

Glad you guys had a good time. I'm in the next class and looking forward to it. I just got my gun from Shawn last week and I'm going to try and shoot it tomorrow. I kind of had a set back last week by cutting off or smashing off about a inch of my index finger ( thank the lord not my trigger finger ) it was re attached but not feeling very good and is making loading rounds a pain in the a#@. I will be at the class though.

Thanks guys, glad you had a good time. It was very encouraging seeing the wind reading abilities improve so quickly. You are absolutly right it just takes some practice, not a ton of ammo but time reading conditions and confirming by a few shots. The "brothers" also showed everone else the serious advantage of big 338 bullets.

Thanks guys, glad you had a good time. It was very encouraging seeing the wind reading abilities improve so quickly. You are absolutly right it just takes some practice, not a ton of ammo but time reading conditions and confirming by a few shots. The "brothers" also showed everone else the serious advantage of big 338 bullets.

SC,

Do you have any other pics of the boys shooting during the weekend you could post ?

P.S which model Eberlestock pack are you using on the DVD ?

Cheers mate

DUH

Shawn,

I think the quote of the day one was close to:

"For those of you not familar with 300gr 338's, keep your eye on the reactive target"

Still laughing....:D:D:D

DUH,

I do not have any others. I will be teaching the next class in early June and will be more on the ball about pictures. The pack I am using is an original before they had more than one model. I believe it is similar to the gunslinger. I have ordered a couple of Dragonfly models. They are big but suit my needs with additional video equipment etc.

TMR,

They are tough on steel but there is no question about performance. They were also an advantage in the gusty conditions we were saddled with, you two used at times half the windage some of the others did.

SC,

Do you have any other pics of the boys shooting during the weekend you could post ?

P.S which model Eberlestock pack are you using on the DVD ?

Cheers mate

DUH

More pics might violate the rule of "what happens at long range class, stays at long range class!" gun)

I had actually thought about snapping some pics since some of the shooting positions/targets were very interesting, but all I had was my camera phone and they wouldn't have turned out very well. We also came across quite a bit of game while traveling around which would have made for some good pictures, especially the B&C spider occupying one of the shooting areas:eek:

Toyota- You guys are lucky to be able to take such a class.. We simply dont have the hunters out here tuned into the long range story. Hardly any of the guys hunting out here have turrets ? We all know they are missin' out !

Glad you had a good fun time and expert coaches to watch over you all. That 1200 yard target was in a world of hurt !!

DUH

Toyota- You guys are lucky to be able to take such a class.. We simply dont have the hunters out here tuned into the long range story. Hardly any of the guys hunting out here have turrets ? We all know they are missin' out !

Glad you had a good fun time and expert coaches to watch over you all. That 1200 yard target was in a world of hurt !!

DUH
Theres an opening for you Simon

Just 'cause you got the gear don't mean you can teach people how to use it !

I think I'll learn how to use it myself first without corrupting others with wrong techniques.

It sure would be good to get a bunch of our guys together for a weekend tutorial of some sort ?

I just don't know many guys that have the right setups to maximise the class yet ?

Wheres your 7 at Paul ?

Cheers

DUH

Wheres your 7 at Paul ?

Cheers

DUH

Bendigo waiting for the barrel to get over here, I think the bolt is done, lug pinned, +20 rail fitted. I got the stock..... scope, dies, rings and RF on the way over from the land of cheap hunting gear. We can have a class in Sept, Ben is full of confidence after nailing a roo at 420yds with the 223.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.