Deer Lease questions for a newb

Texas resident here.

Not a good deal. I would keep looking. My advice for you, you're not going to find many GREAT or Good deal leases in Texas listed online. They don't need to be. You're best route will be to network. Talk to guys and make friends and branch out that way. When the good leases come open they don't stay open long. Texas is a huge place with almost all private land compared to many other states. There's a lot of really big ranches and even more 1000 acre or less places.

Network network network. And you'll find a good lease worth staying with.

I think you can do better, next year. Too late to to find a place now, if you can afford it after you look, better jump on it.
For perspective I've two leases 2 hours north east of Dallas. Bowie co farm land In the red river bottoms. This a result of me having no lease last year.
750 acres with 6 guys at $2000 a hunter.( one is from Dallas)
Family can hunt but only 6 13" bucks can be taken total. Ducks, fish, hogs, predators and anything else legal for the entire year.
The other is 4500 acres with 10 hunters at $1600 which includes liability insurance. Same rules and a year lease. On the 4500 acres kids and spouse
can kill deer too.
So, I'm at $3600 but, I'm within 15 minutes of both.

It really is all relative.
This axis in the pic was a$1500 deer from rock springs last year. I lucked out and a buddy took me to his lease there where they pay $1500 per gun on 700 acres and they charge a day fee to guest.
It would of been $2500 to anyone else.

Good luck and I may have an opening here next season.
Keep in mind, both Parker and Palo pinto county's have 13" antler restrictions.
And in Texas, when you lease, you are getting the hunting rights to the place only unless otherwise specified.
Thanks! Rock Springs in east TX? There's also "Rocksprings" waaaaay out on the frontier towards Del Rio

I didn't read all the posts (too many) but I would pass, that's WAY high and he'll likely get it. One reason alone, close to the metro mess.

I'm on the NE side of Dallas and hunt out west by OH Ivie. It's ~ 4 hour drive depending on traffic as I cut across the metro.

Here's what I'd do….I'd contact West Texas Hunting outfitters (Mike and his guys are awesome) and book a doe hunt or two (highly recommend an axis doe, great eating) for this season and continue to look for something out west.

East of the metro has more smaller tracts, stealing, trespassing and poaching…hog doggers are a big problem. Many see fences as something they have to cut or hop to follow their dogs.

Not sure you're aware of antler restrictions in some counties. Means they have to be 13" inside spread to be killed. The folks who hunt in those counties seem to sing the praises…mainly making the point of seeing more buck.

West seems to have a higher deer density in most areas and I am not the guy that likes sitting for hours on end without seeing stuff.

Good luck, I don't know of anything open right now. I hope you find something that works, welcome to Texas! Just remember to vote with and for your gun rights 😜

I didn't read all the posts (too many) but I would pass, that's WAY high and he'll likely get it. One reason alone, close to the metro mess.

I'm on the NE side of Dallas and hunt out west by OH Ivie. It's ~ 4 hour drive depending on traffic as I cut across the metro.

Here's what I'd do….I'd contact West Texas Hunting outfitters (Mike and his guys are awesome) and book a doe hunt or two (highly recommend an axis doe, great eating) for this season and continue to look for something out west.

East of the metro has more smaller tracts, stealing, trespassing and poaching…hog doggers are a big problem. Many see fences as something they have to cut or hop to follow their dogs.

Not sure you're aware of antler restrictions in some counties. Means they have to be 13" inside spread to be killed. The folks who hunt in those counties seem to sing the praises…mainly making the point of seeing more buck.

West seems to have a higher deer density in most areas and I am not the guy that likes sitting for hours on end without seeing stuff.

Good luck, I don't know of anything open right now. I hope you find something that works, welcome to Texas! Just remember to vote with and for your gun rights 😜
Thank you for the insight. Definitely voting to preserve gun rights. I appreciate the 2A more than ever.

I'm wondering what the cost is for the OP to fly to Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada, shoot a fatty Bull moose and fly back home. Around $5000 USD way better trip. On a serious note. In Canada; well in Atlantic Canada, it's becoming ever more difficult to find land to freely hunt on. Most of the crown (government) land has been illegally pillaged and plundered of its wildlife. More and more land owners no longer want anyone hunting their lands for this reason. So… in a lot of ways knowing you can hunt non pressured land is priceless. For me though the day I have to pay thousands of dollars for a few deer (outside an out of province/country hunt) is the day I quit hunting. I feel privileged and honoured to be able to hunt coyotes on a nearby cow farm. In return, which was not negotiated I get to hunt his many hectares of land. Best of all by myself and on foot/ebike/horseback only. Truly priceless. Kill yotes in the spring then all the bears (max 2/yr here) WTD (one Buck and 1 island deer with bow on Deer island) one moose (if you win the lottery for that), Yotes Birds and chucks I want. Great trout fishing too. Win win.
Very cool, good for you getting to enjoy God's creation out there 😎

My personal data on leasing in-that area is 10 yrs old, but my hunting buddies still live, lease, and hunt the area. You are very late to the game to find a lease for this fall. Our first lease was $10/acre, but after that first year we met other farmers/ranchers and settled on a least they still are on for $7/acre. I dont think you'll find that price, but the advice you got to get the lease now and keep searching through the season was strong advice.

a one time hunt for 3-6k would definitely yield a higher quality animal, but you won't get the experience it seems you are looking for for your family. 2 hunters on 150 acres of land out there is crowded. It can be done, but you will spook more deer than you have shot opportunities on. It's your $$, so spend it how you want.

is it overpriced, yes. Will you find another lease close to home before the season, doubt it.

My personal data on leasing in-that area is 10 yrs old, but my hunting buddies still live, lease, and hunt the area. You are very late to the game to find a lease for this fall. Our first lease was $10/acre, but after that first year we met other farmers/ranchers and settled on a least they still are on for $7/acre. I dont think you'll find that price, but the advice you got to get the lease now and keep searching through the season was strong advice.

a one time hunt for 3-6k would definitely yield a higher quality animal, but you won't get the experience it seems you are looking for for your family. 2 hunters on 150 acres of land out there is crowded. It can be done, but you will spook more deer than you have shot opportunities on. It's your $$, so spend it how you want.

is it overpriced, yes. Will you find another lease close to home before the season, doubt it.
What I have found leasing land for hunting , it is rare too find loyalty between the land owner and lesee . I have built camps , improved and remodeled old ranch hand houses for camps , put in septic systems for old camps , water lines , game management etc. for over 20 yrs with the same core group of men , with the exception of a few that that would go and then replace a few too maintain a reasonable lease fee . i I finally got tired of improving someone else's land and then loosing the lease too the next highest bidder , or the Grandson that came into the picture 10 yrs later and would have different ideas than his Grand Pa and wind up on the road again . I bought my own place the only person that can kick me off that place is God . When leasing a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush , you have too start somewhere it's all a learning experience , hope it works out for you like it did me . Look too the future and buy a piece of land you and your sons and daughters can enjoy for years too come. I think leasing land will soon be a thing of the past , good luck.

That's about 3 times what we pay in northeastern NC. Our 10 members have open access to almost 2000 acres of mixed farmland and forest, creeks, small ponds, small swamp, dirt roads, and two established campgrounds for $800 to each member yearly. We are limited only by state regs, and do our own cleanup and maintenance. We have whitetail, black bear, turkeys, quail, fish, and a few gators. We even have one small cabin w/power, bath, and water at camp near owner's home. He's become a good friend over past dozen years.

Drove by a land f sale sign just outside of Graford. McClure Mountain ranches. Maybe see if u can lease land that hasn't been sold. or buy some land...
SnT

6500 per acre. 392000 for 60 acres. A bit steep. But I don't know what goes with the property. If they have wells stock tanks etc? I also don't know the going rate these days?? McClure Mountain ranches Palo Pinto.

Well price is a little high for the amount of acres, but that's because of the location. We lease 1300 acres near Ozona for 6k a year.
Don't forget to add cost of feeders, corn, maybe pens if you have hogs in the lease. Also, the management plan kind of sucks, 1 buck and 1 doe, you are better off paying an outfitter for a management hunt for half the price.
Check out leasehunter.com, for a
Small subscription fee you have full access and see what's around you. Also, TX park and wildlife has a lease site:

Good luck,