Deer Lease questions for a newb

Hi everyone, I'm a new hunter and hoping to secure a place to hunt whitetail in TX this season and this will be my first ever lease and hunting for deer. I have an individual that's willing to lease 150 acres west of Fort Worth for $3,000 (he's looking for 2 hunters to pay $3k each for $6k total) and he said the lease will allow 1 buck, 1 doe and year-round access for shooting, camping, hanging out with my sons, etc. It's got a tank, wooded areas (about 70% wooded and 30% cleared / fields). I'm not sure what's currently out there as far as blinds, feaders, etc.

I've never leased land for hunting before......and so I have no idea if this is a smoke'n awesome deal, or on the high side and if I should keep looking. But he just got this land and I got the impression that he's managing it conservatively.......but I think a TX bag limit is like 5 deer......but that's why I'm asking for feedback to see if this is a good deal or what. This is the first person I've found that will actually have land available lol, as nearly everyone is like 'nah man.....I've got a place.....but don't know of anything available......good luck bud.......' << lol.

At any rate, this is only about an hour from my house in FW area and so it seems intriguing to me. I consider myself a beggar for a lease at the moment, but will keep looking if this is a really bad deal or if I can negotiate a better rate for what it is.

What's a common rate / deal / lease amount for 150 acres and I get 2 deer (1 buck, 1 doe) and year round access?

(I attached a pic for attention.......if that helps get attention! haha)
I'm in TX, first not every county deer allowed is the same. Check the county regs with Texas parks and wildlife to see what the rules are. 2nd imo that is extremely high for that part of TX., unless you have deep pockets. You can find more for less. Just my opinion and not meant to be rude. From an old timer.

I'm in TX, first not every county deer allowed is the same. Check the county regs with Texas parks and wildlife to see what the rules are. 2nd imo that is extremely high for that part of TX., unless you have deep pockets. You can find more for less. Just my opinion and not meant to be rude. From an old timer.
In the past the higher lease rates were from brokers who gather properties and in turn lease out for higher rates. This year it's going to be all about feeding. I had several doe's come in with the cattle when I put out cubes. One doe followed me back to the well to see if I was going to put out more. North central Texas is so very dry. All be safe if camping out no open flames!

Hi everyone, I'm a new hunter and hoping to secure a place to hunt whitetail in TX this season and this will be my first ever lease and hunting for deer. I have an individual that's willing to lease 150 acres west of Fort Worth for $3,000 (he's looking for 2 hunters to pay $3k each for $6k total) and he said the lease will allow 1 buck, 1 doe and year-round access for shooting, camping, hanging out with my sons, etc. It's got a tank, wooded areas (about 70% wooded and 30% cleared / fields). I'm not sure what's currently out there as far as blinds, feaders, etc.

I've never leased land for hunting before......and so I have no idea if this is a smoke'n awesome deal, or on the high side and if I should keep looking. But he just got this land and I got the impression that he's managing it conservatively.......but I think a TX bag limit is like 5 deer......but that's why I'm asking for feedback to see if this is a good deal or what. This is the first person I've found that will actually have land available lol, as nearly everyone is like 'nah man.....I've got a place.....but don't know of anything available......good luck bud.......' << lol.

At any rate, this is only about an hour from my house in FW area and so it seems intriguing to me. I consider myself a beggar for a lease at the moment, but will keep looking if this is a really bad deal or if I can negotiate a better rate for what it is.

What's a common rate / deal / lease amount for 150 acres and I get 2 deer (1 buck, 1 doe) and year round access?

(I attached a pic for attention.......if that helps get attention! haha)
That's pretty high for parker, Palo pinto, wise or jack county. 150 acres can be hunted in 3-4hours walking. 150 acres is not enough property to "manage" especially if there is another larger lease right on the other side of the 5 strand. Are they running cows on the property? There is one area that I know of in the DFW area that has big deer and it's public and archery only. Yes the convenience of being an hour from the house is nice but it aint worth 6k for 150 acres in my opinion. Plus a 150 acre place an hour from FW has a much higher possibility of being sold out from under you at any time. Big tracts of land change hands less often. There is nothing more frustrating than managing a place for 3-5 years then having it sold out from under you when you finally start seeing good deer on camera. Personally I'd stay on I20 till you get over Ranger hill or at least across the Brazos. Our lease is 196 miles from my house one way and I wouldn't have it any closer. We have 6,000 acres that backs up to the Wagner where there is zero hunting. We have water and electricity and quail and audad and ducks and geese and cranes and dove and hogs and deer.....see what im getting at? You would be paying $40 an acre and not have anything to shoot at from the end of January till September and we pay less than $3 an acre and hunt quail till the end of February and snow geese till March and hogs 12mo out of the year. Just by driving another 2hrs!

The hunting lease "brokers" are the scum of the earth in my opinion. They pay the land owner $1500 for the access and charge 6k to let 2 guys hunt it so stay away from the hunting lease websites. If they are running cattle on that place the person leasing it to run cows is paying less than you would be to hunt it and be turning a profit on the place....potentially.

My advice is.... get farther away from DFW or... take that 3k and go down to the hill country and shoot a few exotics. There are plenty of $1k axis deer hunts down there. Do that until you find a better place/price.

That's pretty high for parker, Palo pinto, wise or jack county. 150 acres can be hunted in 3-4hours walking. 150 acres is not enough property to "manage" especially if there is another larger lease right on the other side of the 5 strand. Are they running cows on the property? There is one area that I know of in the DFW area that has big deer and it's public and archery only. Yes the convenience of being an hour from the house is nice but it aint worth 6k for 150 acres in my opinion. Plus a 150 acre place an hour from FW has a much higher possibility of being sold out from under you at any time. Big tracts of land change hands less often. There is nothing more frustrating than managing a place for 3-5 years then having it sold out from under you when you finally start seeing good deer on camera. Personally I'd stay on I20 till you get over Ranger hill or at least across the Brazos. Our lease is 196 miles from my house one way and I wouldn't have it any closer. We have 6,000 acres that backs up to the Wagner where there is zero hunting. We have water and electricity and quail and audad and ducks and geese and cranes and dove and hogs and deer.....see what im getting at? You would be paying $40 an acre and not have anything to shoot at from the end of January till September and we pay less than $3 an acre and hunt quail till the end of February and snow geese till March and hogs 12mo out of the year. Just by driving another 2hrs!

The hunting lease "brokers" are the scum of the earth in my opinion. They pay the land owner $1500 for the access and charge 6k to let 2 guys hunt it so stay away from the hunting lease websites. If they are running cattle on that place the person leasing it to run cows is paying less than you would be to hunt it and be turning a profit on the place....potentially.

My advice is.... get farther away from DFW or... take that 3k and go down to the hill country and shoot a few exotics. There are plenty of $1k axis deer hunts down there. Do that until you find a better place/price.
Thank you sir. I've found much larger leases and better deals out 3-4 hours from town, which will lessen me getting out there, but I'll have a lot more fun, I believe. Thanks for the perspective

Thank you sir. I've found much larger leases and better deals out 3-4 hours from town, which will lessen me getting out there, but I'll have a lot more fun, I believe. Thanks for the perspective
I go by price per acre! What am I getting for what im paying? 1hr of driving plus 12hrs of running a generator doesn't = the cost of driving 3hrs but It dang sure beats the hassle. The deer out west are a lot larger than Central Texas WT. You think the drive will lessen the time you have out in the woods but it really doesn't....you just start planning longer trips lol.

Good luck in your search.

Looks like I'm late to the dance lol. Did you end up getting the land?

Price sounds extremely high to me. If you're splitting 150ac with someone else you're basically paying $40/ac and only being able to shoot 1 buck and 1 doe. Top it off with it being "unimproved" no electricity, running water, blinds/feeders etc etc and it seems way out of line. Seems like you would be overpaying for the convenience of being close to the metro. If you were willing to travel an extra hour or 2 you could probably cut that price per acre in half.

I personally know guys that pay 20k+ per season per person PLUS trophy fees on places down in south Texas and they shoot 170" deer pretty much every year. Heck I've heard of guy's paying 30-50k a year for some of the private duck clubs in Arkansas. All it is, is a redneck yacht/country club.

In the beginning.......
Texas was so broke after fighting off the Spanish by themselves that they paid for everything in land. If you served in the Texas house of representatives you got X amount of acres. Served in the army as a major general you got X amount of acres. That's not to mention the land they had to give away for free for people to settle it. The edge of the known world was about where I35 runs today till about 1885...west of there you were in Comanche County and S.O.L. if they came knocking. So from all this land gifting and cattle ranching claims and farming you end up with a state that's larger than most countries in the world and its like 96% privately owned. What public land we do have is so over pressured you have to be a ninja to be successful.

Heck I've heard of guy's paying 30-50k a year for some of the private duck clubs in Arkansas.
As you stated, @DUCKMAN11, waterfowl is a whole other game. I grew up on the Eastern Shore of MD and am simply dumbfounded by the amount of money people are willing to spend today to secure waterfowl leases in that area. Relationships and local connections are a key to securing hunting, but long-term friends, and even family can be swayed by the almighty dollar.

Looks like I'm late to the dance lol. Did you end up getting the land?

Price sounds extremely high to me. If you're splitting 150ac with someone else you're basically paying $40/ac and only being able to shoot 1 buck and 1 doe. Top it off with it being "unimproved" no electricity, running water, blinds/feeders etc etc and it seems way out of line. Seems like you would be overpaying for the convenience of being close to the metro. If you were willing to travel an extra hour or 2 you could probably cut that price per acre in half.
@Shortmag11 I ended up passing on it. It just wasn't sitting well with me and it seemed like a hasty move on my part, given that I've *just* started looking. I may not be able to deer hunt this year on private land but I'm confident and optimistic there's a place in my future that's a better fit, cost, etc. I may even buy land at some point so that's a possibility as well. Thank you for chiming in

Is this for just the two of you? Can Spouse hunt?
12 month use sounds good if you can make use of it.
Does he own adjacent land - any reciprocity for wounded animal?
Like another said - get agreement in writing. Lisbilityis always a consideration.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

@Shortmag11 I ended up passing on it. It just wasn't sitting well with me and it seemed like a hasty move on my part, given that I've *just* started looking. I may not be able to deer hunt this year on private land but I'm confident and optimistic there's a place in my future that's a better fit, cost, etc. I may even buy land at some point so that's a possibility as well. Thank you for chiming in
Sounds like you made the right decision. Sounded more like an impulse thing to me. Also, did you know if this guy was the actual owner of the property? May be been a sublease deal. At least that's what it sounded like to me. That is becoming more and more popular. Around here, most owners won't tell you how many hunters you can or can't have or how many deer you can take. They are mostly concerned with you abiding by state laws and having insurance.