Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'West' started by timmymic, May 20, 2015.

1. timmymic

timmymic Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

Looking at going out west next year with some friends and trying to decide where to go! So far I have been looking at WY and ID. One thing I thought was pretty awesome in ID was with their deer tag you can also "Valid to take a black bear or mountain lion, if a season is open for that species, instead of a deer where and when the deer tag is valid, and there is an open deer season in that same unit." I just don't know how much public land there is and if it is worth the drive from Wisconsin to do out there.

If your from the area I would appreciate any advice I could get!!

2. Catahoula

Catahoula Well-Known Member

I live in Idaho Falls, ID & would be glad to give advice.
    Call me @ 208-716-2432.
    Thanks, Kirk

3. jammer300

jammer300 Well-Known Member

Idaho has lots of public ground. What units are you thinking about hunting?

4. timmymic

timmymic Well-Known Member

I'm think 58 really looking for deer but would be i saintly happy to get a bear

5. JoeS1044

JoeS1044 Well-Known Member

Im not familiar with unit 58 as I'm from Northern Idaho but is link provides all the areas of public lands throughout the state that are managed by Idaho fish and game good luck if you decide to head out this way!

Idaho Fish and Game - Wildlife Management Areas

6. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

7. FearNoWind

FearNoWind Well-Known Member

I haven't hunted Idaho but I've hunted Wyoming a number of times. IMO, either would be a good choice. Just make sure, regardless of where you hunt, to use a good GPS and the best GPS maps you can find. Islands of private land often occur within public land boundaries and conflicts can develop if you're not exactly certain of where you are.

8. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

+1...while I was in Wyoming, I thought I was on public land and it turned out I was on a small piece of private land surrounded by public. Guy was a little bothered.