Deer Hunt - recommendations on how to find out who owns what land

Zipdrive

First hunt in 25 years for me and the first hunt ever for my son, and we drew for unit 104 in CO for deer this year, based on a recommendation of the hunter safety instructor. Well, I did realize that the unit has only 50 acres of public land. So, I've been asking around, and so far all leads have ended up with one of two answers: the guy/gal no longer owns the land I use to use, or the person I know doesn't allow hunting anymore.

So, what kind of recommendations to you all have to find out who owns an area and get to talk to them? Thank you!

county clerk in most counties sells a plat map book with all land and owners in that county. they only update every 5 years or so and may not be exactly accurate but should get you to the right person. It will individual or corporate name, then the hunt to find the address or telephone number begins.

Last edited:
OnX Maps, CamoFire.com just had a sale last week, you could get 1 state for less than $20. You could run it on a desktop computer, on a smartphone, or on your GPS (depending on your level of technical aptitude).

It pretty much does everything but ask permission for you . . . that's on you!

Thank you for the idea of OnX. I've started to look into that. I think I'll be getting the map for CO.

Don't forget to check "Access Yes" land and state trust land, but you will probably end up asking for permission. When doing so mention that you would be willing to pay for access and you will get a lot more yes's. OnX is awsome.

Have you contacted the Colorado hunt planner, at the fish and game office ? They may be of some assistance 303-291-7526. They have been very helpful to me in the past. Good luck with your hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.