Decisions, Decisions...Need suggestions

Tailgunner

Building a new rifle, baised on the CZ Magnum action (.532 bolt face) and a 30" .308 barrel.
Usage will be longer range hunting than my 30-06 is capable of handling.
Looking for chambering suggestions (but I won't consider anything with Weatherby in the name, long story). I'm considering things like the 300H&H AI (40*) or PI (30*), and the 300AMU.
Any other suggestions or recogmendations?

Ok, showing my ignorance here. Is the RUM a major leap (in reality) over the 300Wby/300Jarret size cartridges that I mentioned above? I ask only because I see in the Nosler manual that the RUM only runs some 50fps faster in their test barrels.
BTW I will probably stay with 180gr or less bullets, due to the 1-12 twist of the barrel that I'll be using.

Some data I have shows the RUM over 100fps faster than the WBY.It is just a personal preference for me I will not argue the differences as I am not familiar with the cart' you list, just a suggestion.Perhaps one of the gunsmiths will tell you the difference.

I talked to a couple gunsmiths in town before I got my RUM. They both told me that to get the real speed difference in speed and the rums potential, I would need to buy a 28+ inch barrel. One of them has a 30" tube and says he is getting 3350 fps using Magpro and 180 gr speer btsp's

I don't know if he was just trying to sell me on his work and bragging. The reason I got the RUM was the brass. I don't like the look of the belted brass.

I would go with a 1:10 twist, 300 RUM. You should be able to launch the 180 grainers at 3250 or better. I know for a fact that 100 grains of H50BMG will net you 3100 fps. Step up to Retumbo or H1000 and you can easily hit 3300 plus.
In a rifle with a 34 in barrel we were able to get a 190 going 3600 fps behinid 100 grains of H1000. I would cautiously work up to this speed as with 100 grains of anything your looking at a butt load of powder to be ignited.
Speed however does not always mean accuracy. We got lucky and the 3600 fps netted us some impressive groups at 500 yards so we never bothered to check anything else. But generally speaking VLD style bullets or SMK like to be pushed as fast as they can but will perform great at slower velocities too. All this does is beat the wind and drop better when going faster, also burns out barrels the faster you go but whos counting. If your just getting into this it is a money pit the likes of which your wife/girlfriend will never understand, never try and explain it either, just mention shoes and how many pairs are needed as we only have two feet you should be able to avoid arguments.
Reason I suggested 1:10 is it wont limit you if you choose to go to heavier bullets with higher b.c. if you stick with the 1:12 you may encounter stability issues with heavier bullets. I dont know as all my rifles are fast twist and shoot heavy bullets, maybe the other fellas on here can pipe in.

I am shooting a 300 RUM with a 26" barrel with abrake added that brings total lenght to 27 1/2" with federal brass and federal 215 primers and 99.5 grains of Retumbo and 180grain TXS my velocity is 3426 fps same load with 180 Accu Bond and velocity is 3464 fps.115 grains of WC-875 and 180 grain TXS and 3375 fps 112.5 grain of WC-872 With 200 Accu Bond is good for 3220 fps Retumbo gets the most velocity of the powders that I have tried and is an Extreme powder WC-872 is a very inexpensive military surplus powder and also works well but is tempature sensitive

Tailgunner, yes and no. If you use a sporter rifle and 180gr bullets and shoot game inside 300yds, a 06 is all you will ever need.

If you want to reach out to 1000yds and further, launch bullets over 200gr at velocities like 3000fps, you need case capacity and long barrels.

Think of case capacity as potential horsepower. Take a 400hp engine and mate it to skinny all seasons, you just get a lot of useless smoke. Better off with a smaller motor. Use that same engine with some wide race slicks and hang on.

Super high velocities with light blunt bullets really does little for the LR hunter. What really raises the performance bar is getting those heavy VLD bullets going. That takes case capacity and long barrels.

Yes, the RUM is an excellent choice if you want an affordable LR cannon.

Jerry

Thanks all. I'll give the RUM some serious consideration.

Jerry Nice analogy. BTW, My 30-06 "sporter" is wearing a 25" #5 Shilen, and has never let me down inside of 450yd, using 150gr NBT's. I'm looking to extend my range capabilities out a little further than I'm comfortable with at present.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.