Deciding My Next Rifleā€™s Chambering

I've been watching this thread. In 2020 i ordered a 7 rm criterion heavy sporter for my 1980 savage i bought just out of high school. It's 26 in long, 8 twist. Didn't have it throated at the tme. This shoots 168 bergers at 3070. Loves 180's too. I just can't remember the speed. I think about the 7prc but don't see any advantage yet. Thought about throating it but.....dont know. My brass has 5 or 6 reloads through it. Oh yeah.....1/2 inch groups all the time. This is my 1 mile gun. Best part....James at NSS sold it to me for 374.00 with a trued recoil lug and new barrel nut. All stainless. Love the gun and cartridge. Let me know it i should throat it.. . What's it cost to do that?

I've been watching this thread. In 2020 i ordered a 7 rm criterion heavy sporter for my 1980 savage i bought just out of high school. It's 26 in long, 8 twist. Didn't have it throated at the tme. This shoots 168 bergers at 3070. Loves 180's too. I just can't remember the speed. I think about the 7prc but don't see any advantage yet. Thought about throating it but.....dont know. My brass has 5 or 6 reloads through it. Oh yeah.....1/2 inch groups all the time. This is my 1 mile gun. Best part....James at NSS sold it to me for 374.00 with a trued recoil lug and new barrel nut. All stainless. Love the gun and cartridge. Let me know it i should throat it.. . What's it cost to do that?
If it shoots I'd leave it alone and get the next barrel throated.

I worked those loads up for a friends rifle back in the fall. That guy is all about the 7rem mag. Called me the week after he picked it up and told me he shot a white tail doe at 830yards with it his first time out.

xsn10s
Kinda what I was thinking. ..dont see the advantage. My nosler brass just keeps working time after time
It all depends on what bullets you use, how you rifle is throated right now, how many rounds you have in it. Once you throat it it may not shoot as accurately. Which is why I say leave it alone and wait until your next barrel.

Probably <500 rounds. I shoot my browning hells canyon speed way more (also 7 rm) getting ready for elk hunts. Going on one this fall. Using 143 hammer hunter at 3350 fps. Elk just die with that combo

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 7mm Rem Mag or the 7-300 PRC. I think I'm just going to order a reamer and be patient. It will only take me a weekend to chamber the barrel and bed the stock so I don't have to worry about waiting for getting it put together. I would rather just order the reamer to my specs with the neck diameter, freebore, leade angle, etc that I want so I don't have to worry about any of that, and I will have the reamer in my collection for future barrels/builds. I contacted Peterson about their 7mm PRC brass and they told me sometime in the 3rd quarter it will be available. That's the same thing I heard from ADG and Hornady. Now I just have to decide on 7mm Rem Mag or 7-300 PRC.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 7mm Rem Mag or the 7-300 PRC. I think I'm just going to order a reamer and be patient. It will only take me a weekend to chamber the barrel and bed the stock so I don't have to worry about waiting for getting it put together. I would rather just order the reamer to my specs with the neck diameter, freebore, leade angle, etc that I want so I don't have to worry about any of that, and I will have the reamer in my collection for future barrels/builds. I contacted Peterson about their 7mm PRC brass and they told me sometime in the 3rd quarter it will be available. That's the same thing I heard from ADG and Hornady. Now I just have to decide on 7mm Rem Mag or 7-300 PRC.
My vote is still for a properly throated/twisted 7RM.
if you are considering a 7/300 PRC you may as well get a 28 Nosler and throat it correctly.

Well I've made up my mind finally! I'm doing the 7mm Rem Mag. I emailed my reamer specs to Manson this evening and I hope to hear back from them in the AM. I also am getting 100 pieces of ADG brass for this build. Below are examples of the 175gr Berger Elite Hunter and 180gr Hottenstein "Stinger" loaded to where I want them to touch the lands. These are ~ 3.590" COAL. The first pic is the Berger and the second the Hottenstein. I'll make a new thread when I start putting things together. Thanks!
DE81301F-7A91-49CF-BFE1-7E03DCBA23B7.jpeg
967D2072-627F-4C45-B2FF-430AF4448E19.jpeg

Well I've made up my mind finally! I'm doing the 7mm Rem Mag. I emailed my reamer specs to Manson this evening and I hope to hear back from them in the AM. I also am getting 100 pieces of ADG brass for this build. Below are examples of the 175gr Berger Elite Hunter and 180gr Hottenstein "Stinger" loaded to where I want them to touch the lands. These are ~ 3.590" COAL. The first pic is the Berger and the second the Hottenstein. I'll make a new thread when I start putting things together. Thanks!View attachment 445811View attachment 445810
Your going to like it!