Deciding calibers?

forgot to mention this. I live in IL which deer hunting is done with a shotgun./muzzleloader no rifles so mostly this is goin to be whacking coyotes/punching paper. When I go west I will pack the 7mmWSM.

EDIT: im not caught up in the Magnum race. sorry if i previously stated it that way. i dont care what the caliber is. as long as it does that job I want at an economical price

Thanks
Shifty

shifty06

My recommendation is a 260 Rem. Accurate, cheap, recoil friendly, huge barrel life and Lapua makes brass.

To focus a little more on the switch barrel idea - I have 3 savage actions that I swap barrels around on, the 260 Rem being one. It is pretty simple to change over and takes about 10 minutes. If you screw the barrel down onto a chambered go-gage the barrel always comes back to the same position time after time. I also chamber a no-go gage to make sure I didn't screw up which I never do but since you are the gunsmith here, you have to make sure.

In particular, the 260 Rem is a Savage LRP. This is a short action target rifle with a no taper target barrel and is a great caliber for lots of cheap practice. You can shoot continuously and the barrel never gets more than warm. It also has a nice HS Precision stock with the aluminum bedding block. However, when I want more punch and a rifle balanced for hunting I switch in a magnum bolt head and large shank 270 WSM barrel. One of the tricks to making the switch easy is using a Warne 20 MOA rail so taking the scope on/off takes about 30 seconds. You do need a barrel nut wrench and an adapter for your vise to hold the action. I built one out of 2" by 2" oak. I also have a standard shank short action and a long action plus barrels in 22-250 Rem , 7mm WSM, 270 Win and 300 RUM. I now think in terms of buying barrels not rifles.

Thank you for the clarification on changing barrels. And this approache sounds interesting. Would you care to elaborate a little more with your set up? I'm am very intrigued. I like the idea of never changing the rifle and just changing barrels/bolts. "It would feel like the same old friend"

Thanks
Shifty

I keep forgetting ya guys are down in the states where 30 cal magnums aren't really necessary for deer hunting, so I guess none of this will apply

My 300 WSM recommendation was the minimum for where I live and hunt
When I go moose hunting, I am also black bear and brown bear hunting at the same time...
90 % of the time I hunt alone, increases my success rate
I would't be caught dead packing a 308 Win, or anything with skinnier bullets on that case

Thanks guys for your opinions. and Advice I have a lot to think over now. Almost more that when i started. lol no but really I think I am headed down the right path now. Thanks for the info again.

thanks,
Shifty

After reading this thread and evaluating the intended use for this gun I'm surprised at all of the magnum suggestions. I'd take a fast twist 22-250 ai with some heavier bergers over anything that's been suggested. Absolutely amazing what these little guns will do and they're easier to shoot.

I have owned a regular 250 not a AI but wouldn't think performance would be that much better. Was wanting something with a little better wind bucking Capabilities. And more energy down range as this will be used for hunting.

I understand. Berger makes some .224 bullets that will buck the wind as well as almost anything mentioned. The 250 is known for it's "speed" but it can be an effective long range caliber given the proper load. Buddy of mine killed an antelope at 425 with his and it didn't take a step. At 750+ the caliber is easy to shoot. I'd run some numbers and compare before buying the more expensive harder recoiling calibers listed.

I have owned a regular 250 not a AI but wouldn't think performance would be that much better. Was wanting something with a little better wind bucking Capabilities. And more energy down range as this will be used for hunting.

.257 Weatherby Mag, or .25-06 AI. With the 110gr Accubonds, or 115gr Berger VLD's.

Go with an 8 twist 6mmbr. Buy 100 PCs of brass and that will out last 5 barrels. They get 2000+ rds. In competition and hunting it will outlast you. Around 30 grs of powder is economical and 105 bergers have enough to smoke a yote (also around 30$ for 100). It's also about the easiest to load and is scary accurate. They shoot an improved version in 1000yd comp and win consistently. It's better in the wind than a 14twist 22-250 and has great barrel life.

I might look into it. But I was Prety dead set on a 6.5 creedmoor. I know it will mostly be shooting yotes. But It would be nice to take along as a back up for elk hunting. I know the 6.5 will do it but will be limited.

Thanks,
Shifty

I might look into it. But I was Prety dead set on a 6.5 creedmoor. I know it will mostly be shooting yotes. But It would be nice to take along as a back up for elk hunting. I know the 6.5 will do it but will be limited.

Thanks,
Shifty
Local shop owner shot a record elk a few years back @ 650+ yards with a custom built Remington 700, chambered in .257 Weatherby Mag, shooting handloads with 110gr Nosler Accubonds.

Just FYI...:cool:

I have to many options and not enough money to buy them all. Lol. But the 2 I have been really looking hard at are the .260 AI. And the 6.5 creedmoor. Thanks for all your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.