Debate over the 8mm Remington Magnum

Leslie Sapp

Is it enough gun for whitetail deer?:D

Attachments

• Deer, 8mm 2.jpg
    Deer, 8mm 2.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 242
My wife asked me politely (pretty demanded) I quit deer hunting with the 325wsm (just shy of the 8mm remmy according to velocity) because it was taking away too much table fare...... :rolleyes:

I took it in a trade last year, got such a deal I couldn't pass it up. I've been wanting to make a trip out west to hunt elk, so I worked up a hybrid 100/barnes 160gr ttsx load and am using it around here this year to familiarize myself with the rifle.

So far this year I've killed two bucks and a 150lb boar hog with it. None of them appear to have suffered much....:)

Have to stay off those shoulders, though....

I ran 180gr tsx's at just shy of 3k fps and if I do ever grab it out of the safe for whitetails I'll be aiming for high neck shots. Mine was purchased for an elk riffle as well! :D

These 160's are coming out at 3425 fps.
I was thinking I'd go to a 180 or 200 accubond if I took it out west, but after seeing the results on deer and hogs, I think these 160 gr ttsx's would make an elk pretty sick, too.

Mine 180 load is at the first accuracy node so I left it alone. Those 165' s are screaming!! And yes, I'd imagine that would be fine medicine for ol white rump!!!gun)

I've killed 3 whitetails, 3 bears and a bull elk with my 8mm mag, all with 200 gr partitions. I do believe it works.gun):D

I took my 8MM Remington Mag Whitetail hunting once just to see what it would do. I shot a button buck from about 80 yards he was standing broadside and was grazing on winter wheat when I shot him just behind the front legs with a 160gr., believe it or not he ran about 60 yards before he went down. When I field dressed him his chest cavity was full of absolute mush. After field dressing there was nothing about the entrance or exit wounds through the rib cage that really looked any different than a deer that has been shot with most any other fairly large caliber (270-280-30-06-7Mag-300Mag etc.)

You can only kill them so dead!

I've have an 8X338 win mag that I've killed lots of deer, elk, Oryx. Not the best bullet selection for long range stuff but a good all around cartridge. 200 grain accubond is my choice of bullet. I bet that would be a great combo out of 8 rem mag

At one time, the 8mm rem mag and the 340 Weatherby were the go to Elk cartridges capable
of taking anything In north America. Quality Bullets were always the problem with the 8mm but that has been long sense solved.

A strong bullet like the Accubond is recommended for less tissue damage.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.