dealing with spin drift ?

For hunting, while I dial elevation, I much prefer to use my scopes horizontal MOA reticle. I find it easier given wind is usually the last calculation/adjustment that I perform during the shot. It also enables me better maintain my focus without having to revert to the windage dial. This has proven to be as effective as dialing for me on game taken to 1200 yards.

So if you go to a match and there's a 10 or 15 mph full value wind, you hold for all of it?

No sir, I hold for what the flags tell me. I have never found a 10 mph hour wind to be exactly 10 mph continuously.
The figure of 10 mph usually refers to the wind's average over a period of time. I rely most heavily on the flag nearest the shooting position and the amount of influence the wind has on the mirage.

No sir, I hold for what the flags tell me. I have never found a 10 mph hour wind to be exactly 10 mph continuously.
The figure of 10 mph usually refers to the wind's average over a period of time. I rely most heavily on the flag nearest the shooting position and the amount of influence the wind has on the mirage.
You should try The Texas Panhandle any any of the plains states to the north and west.

One thing is constant and that's that the wind will be blowing. What is never a constant is how hard it will be blowing or from which direction!

I've seen wind change 4 times over a 600yds track.

It's what makes prairie dog shooting the challenge that it is.

You should try The Texas Panhandle any any of the plains states to the north and west.

One thing is constant and that's that the wind will be blowing. What is never a constant is how hard it will be blowing or from which direction!

I've seen wind change 4 times over a 600yds track.

It's what makes prairie dog shooting the challenge that it is.

Our range offers just about anything you could want from pistol to cowboy to rifle competition with rifle competition range having 200 - 1000 yards in 100 yard increments. Each of the 100 yard segments is slightly elevated above the previous firing line so there are valleys between the firing lines. The range itself is surrounded by a large high berm. The winds, which are constant and variable (in both direction and speed) come over the berm and swirl along the depressions between the firing lines. So a full value wind from 9 o'clock (evidenced by the flags) will swirl into eddies as it passes over various portions of the range. The trick is to select the greatest potential wind influence from among the many variables. The much despised mirage actually helps in that regard so learning to read mirage is critical to success. Gotta love it :D

Our range offers just about anything you could want from pistol to cowboy to rifle competition with rifle competition range having 200 - 1000 yards in 100 yard increments. Each of the 100 yard segments is slightly elevated above the previous firing line so there are valleys between the firing lines. The range itself is surrounded by a large high berm. The winds, which are constant and variable (in both direction and speed) come over the berm and swirl along the depressions between the firing lines. So a full value wind from 9 o'clock (evidenced by the flags) will swirl into eddies as it passes over various portions of the range. The trick is to select the greatest potential wind influence from among the many variables. The much despised mirage actually helps in that regard so learning to read mirage is critical to success. Gotta love it :D
On the high plains where I'm talking about it's not that kind of challenge, you get stuck quite frequently shooting in 20-40mph winds on almost any given day and rarely are they steady so you get unexpected momentary lulls along with really severe gusts.

It's relatively rare to have a day that the wind doesn't at least blow 20mph most of the day.

You just get used to it when you live with it day in, day out but I've known a lot of guys that head out there from either coast or the Midwest on their first trip and get gobsmaked by it and really have neither the skills, nor the experience to deal with it.

I shot a running coyote one day in front of six clients as we were heading in for lunch. It was blowing easily forty MPH quartering left to right an I actually had to lean the coyote two body lengths behind him to compensate for the wind as he was rapidly closing in on 500yds by the time we could get stopped and get the gun up ready for a shot.

None of them could believe it when he cartwheeled on the first shot.

I was almost as surprised as they were since it was a brand new rifle I hadn't even shot before but I wan't about to let them know it.gun):D

How are you fellas dealing with spin drift?
1, dialing for it
2. holding for it
3. Offsetting your zero to counter it.
I have always dialed for it as my shooter program has directed me with great success.
I recently watched a long range hunting program where they were zerowing about a half moa to the left to counter the effects of spin drift . they was using the g7 rangefinder and to my knowledge it does not does not calculate spin drift .
My procedure is to feed the yardage in to the app and it spits out the drop and wind if I do not have data available I feed in the atmospheric conditions manually .
I was just wandering if the offset method was practical then I could fall back to a drop book and not rely on electronics as much.
porkchop401,
Bryan Litz's book " APPLIED BALLISTICS FOR LONG-RANGE SHOOTING" Chapter 6 "Gyroscopic (Spin) drift starting on page 95 explains everything you need to know on this subject. Bryan's books are a great source to have in your library. Well written and not dry reading.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.