DBM too short

GB87

Need some advice guys. I'm shooting an all factory Remington 700 with the factory brake and dbm. Currently I'm shooting 150 grain partitions but I'm wanting to step it up and start shooting some longer ranges. I'm comfortable out to 500 but would love to be able to stretch that distance a couple hundred more yards. I'm really wanting to try the vlds however the length of them added to how short the box magazine is makes me believe I'm basically out of luck unless I want to jam them half way into the case. What are my options here?

Easiest is to single shot it but I'm sure that you already knew that.

The only other thing that I could think of is to replace the DM with a Hinged floor plate and a Wyatt's mag box.

That's what I'm using on an STW that I'm having built on a 700.

Need some advice guys. I'm shooting an all factory Remington 700 with the factory brake and dbm. Currently I'm shooting 150 grain partitions but I'm wanting to step it up and start shooting some longer ranges. I'm comfortable out to 500 but would love to be able to stretch that distance a couple hundred more yards. I'm really wanting to try the vlds however the length of them added to how short the box magazine is makes me believe I'm basically out of luck unless I want to jam them half way into the case. What are my options here?
Replace it with a RUM length DBM or plain old BDL bottom metal.

I have the same rifle and both the factory DBM and muzzle brake are crap.

I'd replace the brake while you're at it but you must tell your gunsmith they are reverse threaded.

North West Precision has the right tap to cut the reverse threads for you on their muzzle brakes thanks to me paying for it.

You can however save yourself a lot of money on replacing the DBM by simply shooting a different bullet. I have had outstanding success with the Hornady Interlock, Nosler Accubond, and Nosler Accubond LR's with standard bottom metal and the rem factory DBM.

my pops had the dbm-b rifle also and has had good luck with the 150 ablr at box mag length... He's usually using the 140 sierra or a private label 150 but 1" groups at 200 tell the tale for me.

Well I was hoping I had more options than that. Bummer! Maybe this is the excuse I need to finally build a fully custom rifle. Just sucks as this gun has basically become like a third arm during elk season and has never let me down. I just wanted to try some 700-800 yard shooting on wolves if given the chance!

forget the vld and go with something with a bit stubbier nose and similar bc. I'd bet you can load to mag. length with a sierra or hornady... possibly a nosler...You don't really want to run it up to the rifling on an overbore like the 7stw anyway.

7mm stw with a 1 in 9 twist
You have lots of available options.

Try another bullet. Lot's of them out there. I'm partial to Hornady Interbond/Interlock, Swift Sirocco, and Nosler Accubonds and Accubond LR's. All have performed very well for me.

Restock it with standard BDL bottom metal.

Restock it with an aftermarket DBM.

If it shoots accurately enough to suit you there's no sense on wasting the money to build a custom just to shoot a particular bullet that you may or may not end up liking anyhow.

I wasn't saying that I wanted to build a custom rifle just so I could try shooting the vld's, I was just saying that might be my motivation to shoot 800 yards. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm just trying to figure out my options as the dbm limits my col considerably when it comes to the longer bullets. I've looked at the accubond lr's and I think they are going to be too long as well unless they are seated deep into the case

I wasn't saying that I wanted to build a custom rifle just so I could try shooting the vld's, I was just saying that might be my motivation to shoot 800 yards. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm just trying to figure out my options as the dbm limits my col considerably when it comes to the longer bullets. I've looked at the accubond lr's and I think they are going to be too long as well unless they are seated deep into the case

the ablr's can be seated to 3.650" and be just fine... my Pops has the same model rifle as you and we were shooting them through his rifle mag. fed last summer...

What grain ablr's were you guys shooting lefty? Do you happen to remember what the load was?

What grain ablr's were you guys shooting lefty? Do you happen to remember what the load was?

80.0 rl25... 150 ablr, rem brass, 215...:D

3.650" oal...

we literally yanked some other 150gr. pills he had loaded out of the brass and stuffed these in and his rifle was 1/2 moa with me behind the rifle... him too...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.