daypack/cantel pack dual purpose

tony m

This is might the wrong place for info but...I would like to find a well designed cantle pack that comes off the riding saddle easily, shoulders as a daypack, able to keep a spotting scope and tripod, day essentials.As a horseback hunter, And usually alone, this would be great,

Tony, I've found the best system for me is a fanny/lumbar style pack. Most of these are small enough to fit behind the saddle and will function as a day pack. Check this link out on the black creeks cure pack and watch the video on the pack. It is pretty impressive. I picked one of these up a couple of months ago and am fairly impressed with how it carries. It handles all your day gear, spotter and tripod, rifle/bow carry and it will pack out some meat----I used it a couple of weeks ago on a shed hunting trip and it worked well.

Randy

Cure Lumbar Pack | Blacks Creek

Looks well thought out, great for day hunts afoot.There are alot of great ideas out there, this is what I think I need..have you seen a bucket rifle scabbard.with shoulder straps? Detached from the riding saddle and carried.For meat packing, from the location of the kill to a horse, if it is not possible to get close enough, is the problem.Elk quarters are quite large.Taking a pack frame does not work for me unless I have a pack animal along.Can't always cut trail to game.I am usually alone .Ideas?

There is no pack that I know of designed to fit behind the cantle. As stated before, a fanny pack is a decent fit.

I have done several different things in the past. I've ridden while wearing a small pack. I hav tied a small pack to the cantle with my saddle strings and I have ponied another horse behind me with my pack frame top loaded across a Decker.

Ponying another horse is actually my method of choice for very open terrain. If you are in a lot of timber it is much harder to pony an extra.

I usually take another to, don't care to wear a backpack much.Sure looking in to a backpack scabbard.Lot's if quality equipment out there, but I don't feel anyone has addressed this need.

That's because we horsemen are a dying breed. ;)

The trail max scabbard is probably the best for protection for your rifle. But the scabbard isn't designed to be carried by you. I think eberlestock makes a couple models with a central scabbard in the pack. I liked one that was called the dragonfly, I believe.

I have a sturdy leather scabbard that holds my hunting rifles well enough. Bass pro and cabelas are making a feeble attempt at carrying some horse gear, but there is the pack saddle shop in Moscow, ID that has about everything a man could want.

Thanks . Googled 'em, wait for a replyI guess.Personally , I am horseback for everything, don't understand the atv culture at all, won't even have one here-for any reason..The Aussies have some interesting ideas about this dual purpose scabbard .I feel it has to be leather, carry the rifle muzzle down and have two shoulder straps.I carry it offside, scope up, muzzle forward , on a mountain rifle , you can still nudge a pony along with hooks. Cheers

I took a single point sling and cut it in half on one of my rifles. Then I stitched it together around sling swivels and installed flush cups. It gives me a comfortable way to carry the rifle while I have my day pack since the single point sling was way longer than a regular sling.

I can then carry the rifle sling around my shoulder and neck like a satchel.

Here is a linki to some of the packs I liked. It is for sale on this website.

Eberlestock H2 Gunrunner Pack (Free S/H + Free Accessory!)

I haven't hunted from horseback in years, but when I did I used saddle bags and a small day pack with essentials and a spotter that I hung from the saddle horn. I invariably ended up putting the pack on my back part of time because I didn't like it rubbing on my leg. I don't know of a good setup for a guy with one horse.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.