Cutting foam in new rifle case

Why cut it? It then limits you to using the case only for that rifle. I take one of the thicker layers of foam out, put the rifle in a soft case and sandwich the soft cased rifle or shotgun between the two remaining layers of foam. On arrival at my destination I can ditch the clumsy big hard travel case and use the soft case. Doing so I haven't eaten up precious cube toting the soft case along as separate piece of cargo.
I have done this several times when flying or driving to a hunt destination. My soft cases have a pocket, so I also take the bolt out and put it in the pocket. Works with 2 rifles in my big case. If there is extra room I will add other hunting items in a small stuff sack like my knife, compass, vest, hat, and other things I don't want in my luggage and don't need until I am ready to hunt.

Purchased new rifle case need to cut foam to match rifle etc. Tried razor not working. Any suggestions. Thanks.
I have used a saber saw with a special razor or knife blade on foam board with good success. You might top the foam with either butcher paper of very thin card board to prevent the saw skid plate base from hanging in the foam material.

Any longish very sharp knife works great. Electric filet is great but i use a regular filet knife. Very sharp is the key.

I read a Consumer Report on electric knives. "Mister Twister" electric filet knife was the best value. I bought one. I sculpted a Pelican case to travel with spare barrels and a couple of complete rifle cases from Boyds (they say Cabelas on the side). Great product. Highly recommended for foam, bread and carving.

I traced out the rifle with a sharpie, started with a sharp Razor Knife, but then went to a big scissors

Why cut it? It then limits you to using the case only for that rifle. I take one of the thicker layers of foam out, put the rifle in a soft case and sandwich the soft cased rifle or shotgun between the two remaining layers of foam. On arrival at my destination I can ditch the clumsy big hard travel case and use the soft case. Doing so I haven't eaten up precious cube toting the soft case along as separate piece of cargo.
That's spot on.

I have done similar. Buy an extra set of foam inserts for your case. Replace the thicker piece with one of the other layers and it will hold everything snug. I bought extra foam first from Pelican then found knockoffs on Amazon.