Cutting a .204 Ruger barrel for suppressor

highfinblue

I've got a Savage 12 in .204 Ruger, heavy barrel and it shoots great for what I want to do with it which is shoot coyotes and bobcats in Oklahoma, but I bought 2 more suppressors in March and just got notified I was approved and should be getting them soon. I really like shooting suppressed, but 25 3/4" barrel on the .204 is a bit long with the suppressor. I have lots of buddies that shoot short stiff barrels lights outs from everything to 22 CM to 28 Nosler, but I haven't seen much in short .204 barrels. Anyone have any experience with a .204 Ruger in 20-22" barrels? Most of the data I've looked at is for the 26" barrel. Is that a standard for this cartridge or can shorter barrels be effective?

I have to cut mine to a smidgen over 20 to get enough taper for a good shoulder. A friend has one he built at 20, figures he gave up 150-200 fps depending on bullet. He loves it for a kick about coyote gun.

I have to cut mine to a smidgen over 20 to get enough taper for a good shoulder. A friend has one he built at 20, figures he gave up 150-200 fps depending on bullet. He loves it for a kick about coyote gun.
Appreciate that. I couldn't see why not, but like I said most of the data is with 26" barrels, and it had me wondering if that was some magical length for that cartridge.

I've got a Savage 12 in .204 Ruger, heavy barrel and it shoots great for what I want to do with it which is shoot coyotes and bobcats in Oklahoma, but I bought 2 more suppressors in March and just got notified I was approved and should be getting them soon. I really like shooting suppressed, but 25 3/4" barrel on the .204 is a bit long with the suppressor. I have lots of buddies that shoot short stiff barrels lights outs from everything to 22 CM to 28 Nosler, but I haven't seen much in short .204 barrels. Anyone have any experience with a .204 Ruger in 20-22" barrels? Most of the data I've looked at is for the 26" barrel. Is that a standard for this cartridge or can shorter barrels be effective?
I have a 15" pistol that runs 3480 with a 40 grain.

I'd say the 'magic' behind longer barrels for the 204 is to get the advertised speeds. I shoot shorter 204s but have left most of the varmint barrels full length because they are bench guns. Length and weight don't matter as long as accuracy is good. Plus, longer barrels are quieter with suppressors.

I just cut mine to 18 and it shoots great as it should just never took the time to check velocity to see how much it has lost, guess I don't care enough to find out but it is a little cold here 16 degrees this morning wind chill 8 degrees

22inch Bartlein barrel with 1;10 twist. I'm getting 3630 from hand loaded 40g and 3600 from Factory 40g Vmax ammo. I wouldn't hesitate to go 20inches.

I think my .204 barrel is at 18.5". Though I haven't chrono'd I have trued my data to 500.

Attachments

• IMG_1964.jpeg
    IMG_1964.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1395.jpeg
    IMG_1395.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 59