Custom Turrents

Greg Duerr

Ive read a lot of about getting aftermarket Dials for your scope made specifically for your load at a altitude temp etc.......................

Being new to all of this it seems like it would be better to just use a Ballistic Calculator and have it give you the Clicks you need ...............One day I might be hunting at the base of the MTs at 4500ft then a week later we are up on top at 9000 Temp change, humidity from day to day..............A couple years ago I hunted one day in short sleeves and the next day the temp dropped down to 15 degrees. Out in Nevada you can have a few days where the Humidity is 5% and then it clouds up and its up to 60% Hunt down south were the Elevation is 2000 then back up on Dobbin Summit at 8500

Could you give me a better understanding of all of this.

I think the best option is to get a program like Shooter or such load it on your smart phone set it up then enter the necessary info as needed. This is what I'm doing now. I also make a drop chart for the average conditions of where I will be hunting which is usually right here on this ranch in case things with the iPhone get screwed up.

Like you state the custom dials just lock you in to tight.

The benefit of a custom yardage turret is speed: laser, dial, dope wind, shoot. It does however present a problem when the conditions are not what you specified when building the turret. I use Kenton Industries "Military" format, which has my custom yardage for a specific set of conditions, AND moa markings for when I must refer to a drop chart for other conditions. My home stomping grounds are no lower than 800 ft ASL and not much higher than 1400ft. I run a 1000ft/55deg turret and have comps taped to my rangefinder, i.e.: for a 1200ft alt change, add or subtract one click @500-800 yards, +/- 2 clicks @ 1000yds, for 40deg temp change, same comp. When I go west, base camp is around 7000ft ASL, and we hunt as low as 5000ft, and as high as 8800ft. There I run a 7000ft/34deg turret, and have drop charts in my pocket for 5000ft, and 9000ft if needed. If I was only going to buy one turret, I would choose the one that matched the conditions I spend the most time hunting in, but given the cost of the rest of my toys, an additional turret won't break the bank. At some point in the future I will buy a G7 BR2 rangefinder to do live calculations instantly, but I won't be throwing away the charts because Mr. Murphy has a way of showing up at the most awkward moments...

I hunt where the elevation doesn't change, but we may get wild changes in temp. I use the standard dials on mys scope, weather they are Nightforce or Leupold's. I make up a drop chart, a wind chart, and a holdover chart. if I see a big change in temps comming I will make up another drop chart. Same goes if I travel to a different elevation. Only takes 15 min. Also, I have a Kestral weather station set up to give "station pressure" and I set up my Shooter app the same way. When the distance gets into the four figure area, I tend to use the weather station/shooter app more..... Enter the distance, station psi and temp in the shooter app and let fly. But, if the conditions are anywhere near my chart, I am good out to 1500 yards with the dial up/windage chart alone.

I don't like "special" or "engraved" scope caps.....WAY to limiting....you can't change bullets, velocity, elevation, temp, or even swap guns/scopes for that matter!! What you have is what you have.

That is, of course, MY .02. Purly personal preferance.
Good luck,
Tod

Attachments

• DSC00926.JPG
    DSC00926.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00928.JPG
    DSC00928.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00927.JPG
    DSC00927.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.