Custom Smokeless ML for $1700

BountyHunter

Decided to build a custom smokeless ML. I looked at all the regular commercial models for $2800-4000 and just too much for what they do to a standard 700 action.

Got to reading the "Doug's Message Board" and all the conversions people there are doing. They have guys who do smokeless conversions on handi rifles, encores and others.

Here is mine built by Luke Horak at Arrowhead Sporting Goods in Mount Vernon IA. www.smokelessmz.com

Started as SS 700 ML for $250 used. The ML action is stronger than the standard 700.

Luke put a Pacnor #7 SS 1-22 twist at 25 inches with Muscle brake. After the neck operations had to have the muscle brake and that is why I went with the #7 contour also.

It uses a modified Savage breech plug with tungsten bushing for the 209 primer. The use of the 209 primer makes it legal in almost all states and even can use the BH 209 poweder if needed.

Boyds finished 700 thumbhole ADL stock was used that was bedded.

70 Gr H4198 with his 310gr APB bullet (.43 BC) shoots at easy 2600 fps and .5 MOA accuracy to 500.

Total cost was around $1700 for gun, new barrel and brake, Luke's work, 100 bullets and spin jag loader jag with starter and 3 pieced ramrod. That is hard to beat when compared to the competition.

He sent a barrel stub off to Swinglock. They use it to make an exact sizing die for the bullets that all the custom ML guys use. That cost an additional $200 but the bullets are sized perfectly and already have the exact barrel rifling on them for perfect seal.

700 ML.jpg

Sorry I read your post like my backside.....The Whitworth also uses a bullet that is sized by a die made of a piece off the barrel , so if it worked them why should it not work now.

Only live an hour away from Luke, and had him build mine as well.
Took a deer last year at over 300 yards.
It shoots sub MOA out to 500 yards.
Congrats on your new muzzleloader.
Those 310 bullets are great as well.

Last edited:
Wish we had as many muzzle gun builders around here , there is only two guys I know off in South Africa hat builds muzzleloaders

Decided to build a custom smokeless ML. I looked at all the regular commercial models for $2800-4000 and just too much for what they do to a standard 700 action.

Got to reading the "Doug's Message Board" and all the conversions people there are doing. They have guys who do smokeless conversions on handi rifles, encores and others.

Here is mine built by Luke Horak at Arrowhead Sporting Goods in Mount Vernon IA. www.smokelessmz.com

Started as SS 700 ML for $250 used. The ML action is stronger than the standard 700.

Luke put a Pacnor #7 SS 1-22 twist at 25 inches with Muscle brake. After the neck operations had to have the muscle brake and that is why I went with the #7 contour also.

It uses a modified Savage breech plug with tungsten bushing for the 209 primer. The use of the 209 primer makes it legal in almost all states and even can use the BH 209 poweder if needed.

Boyds finished 700 thumbhole ADL stock was used that was bedded.

70 Gr H4198 with his 310gr APB bullet (.43 BC) shoots at easy 2600 fps and .5 MOA accuracy to 500.

Total cost was around $1700 for gun, new barrel and brake, Luke's work, 100 bullets and spin jag loader jag with starter and 3 pieced ramrod. That is hard to beat when compared to the competition.

He sent a barrel stub off to Swinglock. They use it to make an exact sizing die for the bullets that all the custom ML guys use. That cost an additional $200 but the bullets are sized perfectly and already have the exact barrel rifling on them for perfect seal.

Luke's rifle from the other day, his photos. THANK GOD he didn't get injured or killed.
I know it can happen with ANY muzzleloader but, this is one reason why I didn't buy smokeless.

You can't just post a pic like that without some details as to what caused it.
Enlighten us, please

Hope that never happens to me ......Glad to hear Luke was not injured.

We all have to be extremely careful. That witness mark MUST be checked with each loading. There have been times when I've had someone talking, that I re-checked with the ramrod. When I'm at the range, I take one bullet out per shot. I do everything that I can for safety, however this is proof that it can happen to the best.

I sold a Pro Hunter to a fella that hadn't hunted with a muzz in over 10 years. He came to shoot it and put the final zero on a new scope I had mounted on it and also to learn how clean it. I went over everything with him and the witness mark, what changes had been made to the frame etc.
He loaded and shot it five or six times, when I intentionally started talking and changing the subject while he was loading. When he put the rifle on the rest and started to get ready to settle, I asked him how many bullets he put down the barrel. His response was, "I'm pretty sure one", while looking a little funny at me. He opened the rifle and removed the primer, then checked the witness mark. I told him how important it was to be POSITIVE and not just sure.

I'd say it was good instruction in light of what happened to Luke.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.