Custom Rifle Build Need Some Info

The 300 WSM and WM are essentially the same ballistically with a slight edge usually going to the WM, but like I said, my 24" barrel 300 WSM with RL17 will out perform most other 300 WM's in a 26" barrel. No hoax really. Of course like everything new there will be a lot of hype to stimulate sales, but I just look at the ballistics. You can do a WSM in a short action which is nice for a carry rifle, but if I were to build one I would go with something a little longer to seat bullets farther out. There's no cost differenence between the two when it comes to cost of rifle or reloadiong components. WSM factory ammo is a little more expensive, but not much. And if your serious about LR, hand loading is the way to go. The biggest difference is 1500 round barrel life vs 4000 round barrel life and that's a big difference. I'll still be on my first barrel when you get yours back from the smtih for it's third barrel at $600 a pop plus the down time which for a good smith may be 6 months to a year. I'm not knocking the WM. It's a great cartridge, but it is what it is, no more no less.

In any case, welcome to the very cool world of LR which will want to consume your life. You'll learn a whole lot about rifles, ballistics, bullets, powder, hand loading and shooting.

Thanks for the welcome. I've only been studying this stuff really hard for a year or so now and it for sure consumes alot of my time. My girlfriend is always griping at me cause she'll be goin on talkin about somethin girly and i'll be sittin there runnin thru the different rounds that i want to try to load. LOL. But it truly is incredible if a person stops to think about it, that he can put something the size of a bullet in any kind of group at a thousand yards. I'll for sure be loading my own rounds i've already started on all the rest of my guns and i could sit out in the shop all night long and just keep doin it if i had the money. Thanks for your help.

I got the 350 SMK at Graf and Son's. I haven't ordered the GS bullets yet. I am getting 3456 fps with 180 grain bullets right now. If they do shoot a little faster like they claim then I was hoping for 3500 fps. As long as it hits in there the ballistics will be awesome. I can give a report on them hunting caribou next August. Assuming they shoot well. Thanks for running the numbers on that 338-378.

Here in Montana it has a tendency to get a little windy...my buddies 338 Edge shooting a 300 SMK at 2850 stomps the crap out of my 300WM with 210 Berger at 2930 at long range in variable wind conditions...when its calm my 300 does great...not only does the wind blow your bullets left and right...it blows them up and down...in field conditions the bullet with the least amount of wind drift reigns supreme... ie ...more speed or better BC's...IMO...I have no experience with that big bad 375 RUM, but I would think it a superb LRH....dan

Finally got the skinny on the 350SMK's. They were a custom bullet produced by Sierra. Here is a letter written in response to my question when I inquired:

That was just a custom bullet we made on a one time basis for a customer. We had a few extra and sold them to Graf & Sons (www.grafs.com) to resale. They still have some, but when they are gone, they are gone.

Thank you!

Matt Reams
Sierra Bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.