Custom pig rifle

Was looking at Chuck Hawks article on the 338 Federal last night! This looks like a serious contender. Re-thinking the bullet weight..do I really need more than a 180-200g slug? ...and it will shoot flatter with enough punch. That Remmy in model 7 weights 6.5 lbs. without a scope ... so if I have it custom made, thats more or less what i want. With a lite Leupold it will be about 7lbs. Will the 338 Federal be reasonable in recoil in that configuration? Trying to find a 338 Federal down in South Africa to test fire and get a feel for will be nearly impossible, thats the frustrating part... you buy and only know after spending your $'s if you made the right decision.

Your set-up with the 308 in 165g is exactly what I have in my Win. model 88. The Remmy model 7 CDL also comes in 308, so the clever people at Remington believe this is not a bad combination ... and they do a 350 RM in model 7 which will recoil even more.

I emailed Wayne at AHR, he was very helpfull and recommended i find a doner rifle in winchester LH stainless for this project. That's about the best option, gunbroker etc. 9.3 x 62 is unknown in this part of the woods, 64 in Africa is a heavy set-up. I think the 35 cal+ option is also fading fast now...

Horseman I see your point..even if I built a custom 338WM, it still needs adequate meat in the action... short action is the way to go. Will a Nosler PT not take up less space than a Barnes in the case? What is your trajectory look like in 185 Barnes? Especially in a 338 Federal set-up you need all the powder space you can get? The 21" barrel seems the perfect middle road .. close to the feel of a 20" model 7.

Fondled that 270 again last night ... maybe a lightweight model is all I need? a 150g Nosler PT on big pig???

I don't feel that the recoil of my 338 Federal is abusive at all. I also have an 1895 Marlin in 45-70 that I shoot 250 Barnes and 325 Hornady's out of. That gun is more abusive than the 338 Federal. I also have a 9# 338 in Mag that I shoot when my mind is into it. Recoil is subjective and you can only learn to handle it through trigger time. I don't shoot off of a lead sled. ALL of my bench testing is done off of a rest with a shooting coat on. You are not building a target rifle for punching paper. Hopefully, load developement is minimal time

Superior stock design goes a long way to reducing felt recoil. The straighter stocks like the McMillian Sako Classic do a lot to minimize the felt recoil. I could never figure out why the Weatherby Mark V stock style was a good thing. I'd rather see the Mark V's in a nice classic style stock for functionality.

I love the medium bores and was thinking along the lines of 338 to 35 cal. Only concern is that the platform is a handy and lighter rifle, almost like a remmy model 7. What type of recoil can I expect with that set up in 35 Sambar? My challenge has been too find a medium kicking cartridge with flat trajectory out to 300 yards max (thats my long shot). I believe the .338 frontal area is perfect for good knock down, but finding a flat shooter with reasonable recoil is a challenge in meduim bore lite rifles. My thinking was to go for a 210-225g bullet weight at 2600 fps ... so possibly leaning for lite for caliber bullets with the benefit of bigger frontal area than a 30 cal, but reasonable on the shoulder.

Anyone downloaded the 338 win mag with 210g bullets? Whats the recoil and trajectory like? I'm sure a custom smith will be able to set up the rifle specifically for lite for cal. bullets in a 338 win mag. Like the idea of Barnes bullets.

I was going to recomend the 450 bushmaster on an AR 15 lower because of the fast follow up
shots (10 rounds) but you said you cant take it with you, so my next choice in a light, handy
rifle would be the 338 RCM in a model 7 Remington action.

I built one for bear and have been very pleased with the accuracy,performance and ease of carry.

With the 200 grain accubond or the 225,250 bullets it is a stomp er. the 200 grain factory load
is 2950 ft/sec for 3864 ft/lbs of energy. It will need a muzzle brake to help control the muzzle
and a green laser illuminator for night hunting.

I have green lasers on both of my hog rifles and they work much better than the red lasers.

J E CUSTOM

If you could find a tikka lefty in 338win you'd be set to 3-4 times your range requirement. I am a lefty too and have been looking for one for a while in the U.S. but can't find one(they are discontinued). I think for your needs, I too would build a rifle around a .338 185 gr barnes. In that case for your requirements, I would look at the 338-06 in a long action or 338wsm or 338Fed in a short action.

horseman... i'm a bit clueless on stock design, but having fitted limbsavers to my 270 /308/375 has made all the difference... can shoot them all day from the bench. Think it will work as good for a 338fed.

Talking about the 358 win, my friend is a prof hunter and guide who re-located from Kenya to South Africa, we drove to Kroonstad this month to drop of parts for his 358win project... also a good option ... just want a bit flatter trajectory out longer... still think a 210-225g at aprox 2700fps is perfect for most African game and pig for a bit more KO than the 30 cal's out to 300 yards. St8shoot, I think there is room for 2 rifles here!:D

So..was thinkinglightbulb...since I dont have a true varmint caliber, I'l order a Sako left hand model 85 (brand new catalogue listing) in 6.5x55 with the shorter 20" barrel for varmint and meduim pig. I dont like 243 cal, and this will be a lovely lightweight set-up. The meduim bore is therefore going to be a long action custom order lefthand stainless which will be a 21/22" barreled 338fed/338hawk/35 whelen. This will be set up for a 210/225g Nosler PT for big boars and anything up to eland in Africa..but mainly a big porker stick!

horseman... i'm a bit clueless on stock design, but having fitted limbsavers to my 270 /308/375 has made all the difference... can shoot them all day from the bench. Think it will work as good for a 338fed.

Talking about the 358 win, my friend is a prof hunter and guide who re-located from Kenya to South Africa, we drove to Kroonstad this month to drop of parts for his 358win project... also a good option ... just want a bit flatter trajectory out longer... still think a 210-225g at aprox 2700fps is perfect for most African game and pig for a bit more KO than the 30 cal's out to 300 yards. St8shoot, I think there is room for 2 rifles here!:D

So..was thinkinglightbulb...since I dont have a true varmint caliber, I'l order a Sako left hand model 85 (brand new catalogue listing) in 6.5x55 with the shorter 20" barrel for varmint and meduim pig. I dont like 243 cal, and this will be a lovely lightweight set-up. The meduim bore is therefore going to be a long action custom order lefthand stainless which will be a 21/22" barreled 338fed/338hawk/35 whelen. This will be set up for a 210/225g Nosler PT for big boars and anything up to eland in Africa..but mainly a big porker stick!

You wont need a long action for the 338 fed because it is based on a 308 win case.

I don't know anything about your laws and what you have to deal with so all I can do is
share lots of pig experience.

As the saying goes,You can kill almost anything with a 22 LR but the problem comes with
how long it takes for it to die and how much damage can it do while it is dying.

I have had some tense moments with pigs and have come to the conclusion that a big
heavy bullet are the way to go if you are on the ground with them. If you can hunt them
elevated then they are not a problem unless you wound them and when this happens I
break out the 3 1/2'' 12 gauge buck shot when tracking a wounded hog.

Most people that have not had much experance with pigs don't know how dangerous and
determined to do bodily harm to the person that hurt them they can be.

It almost requires a ''special" rifle for pigs if you want the best results.

There are some good leaver rifles like the 444 marlin,45/70 and the 450 marlin but they
are right eject and you need a lefty.

Lots to think about but you will find the one that best suits your hunting if you are patient.

Good hunting.

J E CUSTOM

JE, now ya scaring me!:) ....seriously .... have been thinking about the danger element with pig, and yes, pig/hog is hunted with various calibers from small to large. We hear many a time of hunters on the net, taking pig with almost anything. What we don't always hear is the circumstances under which they where taken. You could have a hunter who has mastered the art of taking massive hogs through his kitchen window with a small caliber for years. For the paying client it's a whole different ball game.

Are we talking big hog's in Australia?, or is it only in US/Europe that you find the big hog's that pose a danger on the ground? This rifle is extra insurance on pig's in OZ (Queensland), which is where I am heading next year.

Of the 2 rifles required, I have the varmint/meduim pig thing sorted in 6.5x55. This is a step-up from my 22 hornet. Bottom line.... I want sufficient (not minimal) caliber for the other rifle, should a monster hog pose a threat, therefore my final question would be: would any of the 338 cal's be sufficient or do I go up to 35 cal on worst case scenario with the biggest hog's? Not looking for "leverguns/bush caliber only" types, want a solid bolt action ...You have the experience ... how was the performance of these 2 cal's on a adrinalin stoked pig?

Last edited:
JE, now ya scaring me!:) ....seriously .... have been thinking about the danger element with pig, and yes, pig/hog is hunted with various calibers from small to large. We hear many a time of hunters on the net, taking pig with almost anything. What we don't always hear is the circumstances under which they where taken. You could have a hunter who has mastered the art of taking massive hogs through his kitchen window with a small caliber for years. For the paying client it's a whole different ball game.

Are we talking big hog's in Australia?, or is it only in US/Europe that you find the big hog's that pose a danger on the ground? This rifle is extra insurance on pig's in OZ (Queensland), which is where I am heading next year.

Of the 2 rifles required, I have the varmint/meduim pig thing sorted in 6.5x55. This is a step-up from my 22 hornet. Bottom line.... I want sufficient (not minimal) caliber for the other rifle, should a monster hog pose a threat, therefore my final question would be: would any of the 338 cal's be sufficient or do I go up to 35 cal on worst case scenario with the biggest hog's? Not looking for "leverguns/bush caliber only" types, want a solid bolt action ...You have the experience ... how was the performance of these 2 cal's on a adrinalin stoked pig?

It's good to be wary of hogs because this is a matter of size "Doesn't" matter. a 200 pound pig
can be just as dangerous as a 600 pound pig and it is not just the bores that have to be respected.

Like most animals the mother instinct is very strong and protection of there young is on the top of there list.

As to the caliber- again it depends on your distance,protection and shot placement. The old term that hot rodders use "There is no substitution for cubic inches" applies to bullet weight and caliber when it comes to hogs and bears. Enough is not the question.How fast is the important thing. Perfect shot
placement is not always possible especally when a pig charges you so be prepaired for the worst
and the results should be the best.

My favorite long range rifle for hogs is a 7 STW, my favorite elevated stand rifle is a 7/08, the favorite for still hunting (Sneaking) would be the 338 RCM, if I an tracking a wounded pig a
12 gauge 3 1/2'' or my 450 bushmaster is the weapon of choice.

I think you can see where i'm going with this, not only do you wan't killing power but also stopping
power when it comes to ****ed of pigs.

Your 6.5 x 55 will do a great job if the shot is placed good and he should not run far.

Bow hunting pigs can be a total blast but you have to realize that even though he is dead when shot
properly he has time and vengeance on his side.

I do not fear hogs but I do respect them very much and know what they can do if given the chance.

If you respect a hog/pig even though they are smaller,like you would a cape buffalo you will do fine.

I have killed hogs with a bow, 17 HMR, 22 LR, 22WRM, 22 hornet, 708, 7 STW, 308, 30/06, 338,
350 RM , 375 H&H , 416 RM, 45/70, 45/120, 450 bushmaster and many pistols and shotguns and
the results were allways linear.(The bigger the caliber the better the all round results were).

I hope this helps you decide.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE, it will be a toss up between 338fed/338 hawk or a 35 whelen... just need to find out if the extra recoil in 35 cal is worth it.

Tikka T3 has a Lite Stainless in left hand w-338fed.

Here's the specs.
http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/LiteStainlessLH.pdf

I have the T3 Lite Hunter in 338fed. Haven't gotten around to hunting with it yet but picked up some 225gr Hornady SP's to try loading & a bunch of Barnes from someone off Gunbroker.com

You can always get 308 brass on the cheap and neck it up for reloading with that gun.

hi Tikker, Tika does go the exrta mile for lefties ... let me know how the recoil is in your 338f, would you say the caliber is good out to 300 yards? trajectory? Thats about the only issue I have, wanting me to go too a 30-06 case as platform.

The recoil isn't bad at all. I'd say its between a 308win & 30-06. As far as it going out to 300yds, I don't have any experiance in it yet, but it should go out to 400-500yds if you can hit the animal. The reviews i've seen are depending on what weight in ammo your gun likes more. Some get best results with the 200gr sp's and others with the 185gr Barnes. Some reviews state 1" groups at 200yds with the 185gr Barnes. You could go further out I would guess, as the bullets are great for long range shooting. Trajectory would be like a 30-06 I would guess. Federal has a Ballistic app that you can download and view how each 338fed factory load looks. Says the 185gr Barns only drops 26" at 400yds when zeroed at 200yd.

Only thing keeping you back from using heavier bullets is the lack of powder capacity in the case with bullets like 225gr and heavier. But that is if you reload your own. Just sight your gun in at 200yds and you should be set for any long distance shooting after you find out what the drop is at. Maybe a BDC type scope would fix that for you. Nikon has one that would work for the speed of this round. Sight in at 100yd with it being around 2800fps and should work out to 400yd or so with the hash marks.

I know Tikka lists a lot of cartridges on their web site but they are not all currently available in the U.S. I want a 338 win in left hand but it is discontinued here, don't know about over seas.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.