Custom pig rifle

just had a chance to use this little 35 a cpl days ago on a mule deer hunt
i used the 180 TTSX going at 2430 with the gun zeroed at 200 yrds
buck was 190 so no hold over at all. 1 shot and a cpl steps and now its heading into my freezer.:D
also had a whitetail doe tag and and took 1 of them at 212 yrds with the same results. yes this is way more gun then i would need to do this but this is 1 of the rifles that my best friend just left me when he passed away. i was thinking it would be nice to remember him on 1 more deer hunt.

there is always something special about a rifle from a family member or close friend who passed away.... it transcends and makes futile all talk about splitting hairs on what cal should be used where and when ... well done there rj ...

Hey Porker, I think I would go with the 338 fed. before I went with the win. , after all why get all that xtra kick when it's not needed. Remember you're hunting pigs not grizz. The fed. is a short action round that won't boot ya any more than your 308 and you can put it together in a nice light weight package. Mike

Hi Lepcur, the 338 fed was a serious contender at one stage, however finding one in Africa turned out almost impossible, don't recall any imported so far to the south where I stay. And left hand stainless? ...boy, let me not go there...

when this stainless Alaskan lefthand m77 ruger came along with the 375R bolt face, I jumped at it ... the boltface suited the 338WM and I did not want to incur further costs on customizing. This rifle is going to OZ, and it will have to do with 95% of the hunting there..

porker,
nothing wrong with your decision on the 338. its overkill for most game. For anyone looking for another nice rifle in left hand configuration just let me know where you are. I will direct you to a shop who can set you up with a Remington LE 700. I know sometimes southpaws get left out in the cold.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.