Custom Builds for Wife and I: Backcountry Hunting

Howdy
I need some help with a custom rifle build! I've never dabbled in building a bolt gun and would like some input from the experts! I'm doing this because I love guns and it sounds fun, but also to learn more about the process.

I'll be building a 6.5 PRC for my wife and 7 PRC for myself. We will be backpacking and backcountry so weight is important. We would like these guns to be capable of longer range shots if ideal conditions are present but also to take to the range and hit steel 1000+.
We train and enjoy guns so this is something we do together.
We want the guns to be light but still manageable in difficult and quick situations, not just prone or tripod.

Priorities
Light weight
Accurate and Precise
6.5 PRC- I'm thinking I will make this one ultralight with a titanium action, carbon stock, lighter optic

7 PRC- built for more distance, not as light, steel action, heavier optic like a NightForce, but still carbon stock

This is what I have so far:
—Action- Lone Peak Razor/Ti
—Zermatt TL3/ Ti3
Anyone compared the 2 of these??
Is titanium really worth it?? Some people have suggested sticking with steel because the price and few ounces saved aren't worth sacrificing the durability and feel.
— Terminus Zeus - this would be for the 7 PRC. I'm a little concerned about the weight and that I can only use the quick change barrel option for the Proof Prefit barrel

Barrell:
— Proof Research prefit 22 carbon
Or other prefit barrels options??

Stock:
This is where I need a lot of help.
Manners EH-1 carbon
McMillan A3 carbon
AG Carbon K2
Gunwerks Clymr or magnus
The problem I'm finding is a lot of these are not available and have long waits? And not the lightest..
Who would you go with? Another issue is I don't have anywhere local to get my hands on these and try them out..

Suppressor:
—TBAC 5 and 7

Bottom metal and Rings
—Hawkins Precision DBL Hunter

Optic:
Would like great glass, able to handle and quick close shot, but also reach further out too. Several people have recommended leupold or nightforce.

How would you build it? Am I way off? Thoughts?

Sorry for the lengthy post- but I need some help!

Thank y'all. I really appreciate your help and insight!

My father runs Zermatt actions and I run the Lone Peak. Although the Zermatt are nice I greatly prefer the Lone Peaks. They run like glass where I've always found a slight hitch in the Zermatt. I've probably got north of 8k rounds through my Lone Peaks without a hitch.

I'm also not a huge fan of the titanium actions but I like to shoot alot. For a dedicated LW gun that won't get shot a ton it's probably not a big deal but the ones I've played with were never as smooth as a steel action.

Impact NBK and the Lone Peak Alpine cut actions are my two favorite "lightweight" action. They are in the 26-28 oz range with integrated rail.

The Terminus actions are really nice as well but are 60 degree throw. There are tons of smiths making prefits for the Terminus QC so your not just married to the Proof barrels.

I'd look at the Manners Pro Hunter stock as well. If you look around and call smiths most stocks can be located.

I can say I have a 6.5 creedmore with Pierce titanium action. And a 30 Sherman both to action from pierce and proof barrels eh5 stocks. Both incredibly light. Great for carry but can be a challenge being so light for 1k plus shots.

I for one love my titanium action. Zero durability issues next to steel. I've got way too many rounds through mine to count. Zero issues.

My first thought was to build the same cartridge. Second was to just do one rifle. Third impression was don't drink the PRC juice until more ammo hits the shelves. And yes, I own a 300PRC.

With a suppressor in play I'd probably build a 300wsm shorty and one on a long action. Load heavies in the heavy one for range and performance. A 165 grain ish copper from a short suppressed fly weight might be ideal. I have read more than once of a wife or petite shooter fall in love with a heavier rifle for softer recoil and accuracy.

Keep her involved and just know your first is never perfect or the last. Then you do another and change the species or area type and and and...

I'd also add Peak 44 to a short list of stocks mentioned.

Yes I love my lite weight but I think you have it nailed for rounds. The prc with a light 120-125 hammer would have very little recoil and be really good on game. I've taken hundreds of animals with that out of my creed and the prc does it better. Then build the 7mm the same with a long action. Keep in mind I shopped for lite everything even had them cut ti actions screws, brake and arcs rail. Build it light lets you add weight to important spots and stop when you want. That would allow you to have some weight for long range stuff.

A few items I'd recommend you consider are:

Cartridge- 7SAUM.
ADG brass.
Manners PH stock. Elite Scorched Earth Forged.
Defiance Anti X Medium action fully DLC'd.
Trigger Tech Diamond trigger Pro curved PVD'd.
Defiance BDL style bottom metal. Blk Ano.
HCA HH Carbon barrel. 18". .188 fb.
Tangent Theta 315M scope.
Badger Ordinance rings. 30mm.
Atlas Cal tall bipod, Lever lock QR.
Hawk Hill Talon bipod feet.
Flatline Ops Halo X Slim Level.
Suppressor: Dead Air Nomad-LTi-e
Tripod: Leofoto
SA-324C with MA-30L ball head.
Sling: BLUE FORCE GEAR Vickers Padded Sling
Armageddon Gear Suppressor cover.
Bullets: Apex Outdoors 147gr. Afterburners.
Primers: Fed 210M.
Powder Re-26.

You'd be ready to Rock !!! 🤠

Solves your wait time dilemma. I like this stock I have one on my 300prc which would be more of your heavier weight build.

1st off Welcome to the forum,it's great to have you boat!!!🥳😉. There a member here that's a long range sponsor Barbourcreek he's in Alabama look up his posts ,there's many Others ,Alex Wheeler, Fiftydriver, 2 many to name ,read and read it's your friend , what about two rifles in the same cartridge one lite for the wife,one heavier for you . Todays top choices are driven buy hype and technology which is great but costly, imagine a more common cartridge combo 308 Winchester and 300 WSM both proven time tested and wouldn't brake the bank playing with. easier to feed saves cash for more time doing what you asked for , enjoy the choices we pay dearly for 🥳🧐😉cheers !!!.

Howdy
I need some help with a custom rifle build! I've never dabbled in building a bolt gun and would like some input from the experts! I'm doing this because I love guns and it sounds fun, but also to learn more about the process.

I'll be building a 6.5 PRC for my wife and 7 PRC for myself. We will be backpacking and backcountry so weight is important. We would like these guns to be capable of longer range shots if ideal conditions are present but also to take to the range and hit steel 1000+.
We train and enjoy guns so this is something we do together.
We want the guns to be light but still manageable in difficult and quick situations, not just prone or tripod.

Priorities
Light weight
Accurate and Precise
6.5 PRC- I'm thinking I will make this one ultralight with a titanium action, carbon stock, lighter optic

7 PRC- built for more distance, not as light, steel action, heavier optic like a NightForce, but still carbon stock

This is what I have so far:
—Action- Lone Peak Razor/Ti
—Zermatt TL3/ Ti3
Anyone compared the 2 of these??
Is titanium really worth it?? Some people have suggested sticking with steel because the price and few ounces saved aren't worth sacrificing the durability and feel.
— Terminus Zeus - this would be for the 7 PRC. I'm a little concerned about the weight and that I can only use the quick change barrel option for the Proof Prefit barrel

Barrell:
— Proof Research prefit 22 carbon
Or other prefit barrels options??

Stock:
This is where I need a lot of help.
Manners EH-1 carbon
McMillan A3 carbon
AG Carbon K2
Gunwerks Clymr or magnus
The problem I'm finding is a lot of these are not available and have long waits? And not the lightest..
Who would you go with? Another issue is I don't have anywhere local to get my hands on these and try them out..

Suppressor:
—TBAC 5 and 7

Bottom metal and Rings
—Hawkins Precision DBL Hunter

Optic:
Would like great glass, able to handle and quick close shot, but also reach further out too. Several people have recommended leupold or nightforce.

How would you build it? Am I way off? Thoughts?

Sorry for the lengthy post- but I need some help!

Thank y'all. I really appreciate your help and insight!
Why not just build the same cartridge for both of you? 6.5 Prc and 7Prc are almost the same. One set of Dies, Components, Brass, Bullets. $$$ Savings.

My father runs Zermatt actions and I run the Lone Peak. Although the Zermatt are nice I greatly prefer the Lone Peaks. They run like glass where I've always found a slight hitch in the Zermatt. I've probably got north of 8k rounds through my Lone Peaks without a hitch.

I'm also not a huge fan of the titanium actions but I like to shoot alot. For a dedicated LW gun that won't get shot a ton it's probably not a big deal but the ones I've played with were never as smooth as a steel action.

Impact NBK and the Lone Peak Alpine cut actions are my two favorite "lightweight" action. They are in the 26-28 oz range with integrated rail.

The Terminus actions are really nice as well but are 60 degree throw. There are tons of smiths making prefits for the Terminus QC so your not just married to the Proof barrels.

I'd look at the Manners Pro Hunter stock as well. If you look around and call smiths most stocks can be located.
Thank you, this is the experience and comparison I needed! I really appreciate the feedback!

1st off Welcome to the forum,it's great to have you boat!!!🥳😉. There a member here that's a long range sponsor Barbourcreek he's in Alabama look up his posts ,there's many Others ,Alex Wheeler, Fiftydriver, 2 many to name ,read and read it's your friend , what about two rifles in the same cartridge one lite for the wife,one heavier for you . Todays top choices are driven buy hype and technology which is great but costly, imagine a more common cartridge combo 308 Winchester and 300 WSM both proven time tested and wouldn't brake the bank playing with. easier to feed saves cash for more time doing what you asked for , enjoy the choices we pay dearly for 🥳🧐😉cheers !!!.
Awesome, thank you. I'm in Georgia right now and used to live in Alabama with family still over there so I will definitely check out his post.
There is so much info out there and gimmicks. This is why I need feedback and insight from fellow shooters. And I will co Ti is to comb through previous post. So many options!