custom action for hunting rifle

kosyms

I am about ready to have a custom deer hunting rifle built. My first concern is picking the best action. Important features to me are: remington clone, compatible with a jewel trigger, wyatt length mag box. A 3 position safety would be nice but it is not necessary.

I have a friend who bought a custom action (remington clone). While the action made for a very accurate rifle, he has had feeding problems with the action.

I do not mind paying $1k+ for a custom action, but I want it to feed perfectly.

Are feeding issues common with custom actions?

What actions do you recommend?

I have a friend who bought a custom action (remington clone). While the action made for a very accurate rifle, he has had feeding problems with the action.
That can probably be fixed. What action and cartridge does he have?

I hear good things about Stiller. Any thoughts on Defiance actions? Also, I have given consideration to HS Precision actions (because of the 3 position safety) but I can't find many opinions on their actions. Any thoughts on HS Precision actions?

I plan on using a hart barrel, mcmillan stock, and jewel trigger. I have pretty much settled on a .280.

Most remington clones will not have the three position safety. That includes stiller, BAT, surgeon, and defiance. I have had all of the above except the stiller. All were very good pieces. The BAT is my favorite but usually costs a little more. The defiance was probably second favorite. BAT is making a three position shroud for defensive edge LRKM. You may can call them and inquire. Hope I helped you.

Mcmillan has a 3 position safety for their actions.

Another thing to consider on a custom action is the ejection.

I think that is a good choice but that brings up another issue. The action you will want is one of the HR models. They will only make that with a 1.125" tenon thread. I don't think a 1.250" barrel diameter leaves a large enough shoulder for a 1.125" tenon.

if you are looking for an off the shelf already built action/rifle there is a company
[ forbes ] i think is there name building a rifle in a few different calib. in both standard [ 30-06 length ] and short [ 308 ] length ] using melvins ultra light actions. i have 4 ultra lights and all feed and shoot very well . the price on these rifles is very much inside your price you have listed. the down side is they are only building a few different chamberings in both length actions.
just 1 more bit of info to look at

Thanks for your input. I will defer to smith regarding tenon as that is beyond by level of rifle knowledge. If tenon is an issue, I will look at a Defiance or Stiller.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts