Custom barrel

Slopeshunter

Hello everyone,

Not really knowing much of anything about custom barrels and just starting to research them. If you were to build a custom rifle that will be used primarily for big game hunting, but to also do some long range shooting with.

What kind of barrel do you guys like? For instance, Gaillard, Douglas, Shilen, Hart, Pacnor, etc. Pros, cons, experiences...

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks much!

So, here's another question to add on. What are some of the differences between a custom barrel and a factory barrel?

Tks again

The custom barrels are generaly straiter , more accurately grooved meaning that the grooves are more consistant in depth and width and most of the time they are alot more smooth causing alot less fouling.
and you can order a custom barrel with special twist rates to meet your specific need for differant bullets and such , you can also get differant profile barrel to help ad weight or stifness or reduce weight.. also if you want a barrel fluted its better to have it done to a custom barrel either by them or your smith then have it sent back to the factory for final lapping so that the chance of having the bore open up in differant areas is less.

I've had Hart , Lilja , Kreiger , Douglas , Pac-Nor and Rock Creek barrels and have never had any problems with any of them. I've even had a couple by E.R. SHaw when I was learing how to build rifles and they are a decient barrel for the money.

The biggest factor is haveing it all put together properly.

Those Shaw barrels are low end but I had 2 that shot well still have one 6/06Ack Imp... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.