Custom barrel contour

TheFishBox

Sorry for this thread but for the life of me I can't seem to find what I am looking for. I swear I saw somewhere that you can get a spotter barrel with a larger flair at the end made by someone. With the idea being it could still be the reader for 5/8x24 thread but keeping the remainder of the contour thin.

Any help would be appreciated.

McGowen will do that. I think Preferred used to do it (and may still), but you will have to call them.

Your other option would be to just get a sporter profile and then send it to LRI, Kampfeld, Shaen Rifles, or one of the other smiths that will thread it and add a permanent collar. Here is a picture of a standard Tikka T3x Lite barrel that I had that done to.

IMG-3102.jpg

Asked the same question about 6 months ago, think McGowan pacnor Lilja and a cut rifle company that escapes me were all doing a kimber Adirondack style shoulder sporter.

what do you request when ordering at mcgowen? Looked at their online ordering but didn't see anything unless you just put in the notes under crown?

Sorry for this thread but for the life of me I can't seem to find what I am looking for. I swear I saw somewhere that you can get a spotter barrel with a larger flair at the end made by someone. With the idea being it could still be the reader for 5/8x24 thread but keeping the remainder of the contour thin.

Any help would be appreciated.
What is your purpose for having a sporter barrel/thin contour with 5/8-24" muzzle thread? Is it because you already have a muzzle device threaded for 5/8-24"?

Direct thread suppressors are my reason.
I was asking the OP. But since you responded to my quote, what is the OD at the muzzle on your barrel pictured? My 6.5 CM came threaded with 5/-24" with .660" (~the same as #4 sporter barrel - https://pac-nor.com/contours/) at the muzzle. It is direct threaded and has been used since 2018 without any issues.

6.5 CM  TC Compass.jpg

Last edited:
I was asking the OP. But since you responded to my quote, what is the OD at the muzzle on your barrel pictured? My 6.5 CM came threaded with 5/-24" with .660" (~the same as #4 sporter barrel - https://pac-nor.com/contours/) at the muzzle. It is direct threaded and has been used since 2018 without any issues.

View attachment 525383
The OD at the muzzle shown is somewhere around 0.650". I am sure it would work fine, but with the collar it prevents any gas leakage. I have one that is 0.680 at the muzzle that is threaded without the collar and with my Nomad I get a bit of gas leakage around the threads. Nothing damaging, just a bit of carbon at the shoulder.

The OD at the muzzle shown is somewhere around 0.650". I am sure it would work fine, but with the collar it prevents any gas leakage. I have one that is 0.680 at the muzzle that is threaded without the collar and with my Nomad I get a bit of gas leakage around the threads. Nothing damaging, just a bit of carbon at the shoulder.
My suppressor posted is an Eliteiron Bravo SD; as noted, there are no issues. I will try my Rex Silentium and my other Eliteiron Bravo next time and see if there are any gas leakage issues/carbon build-up at the shoulder.

what do you request when ordering at mcgowen? Looked at their online ordering but didn't see anything unless you just put in the notes under crown?
Call and talk to them. Absolutely the best way to get exactly what you want even if they will do it.