Custom actions, are they worth it?

The tolerances of the machining on the better custom actions are considerably tighter than factory that in itself gives one the opportunity for better accuracy. Taking advantage of that requires precision reloading which is a definite step up in one's game I don't care how long they've been doing it. The best dies, presses, measuring devices, scales and precise bullet seating, shoulder bump, and neck tension in a properly built rifle can do things I didn't even think possible not that many years ago. When you squeeze the trigger, and your spotter says you missed the paper with the second and third shots it brings a smile to my face. Sometimes it's even better than a ragged hole.

Or you are not accurate enough to see the difference. If you can only shoot 1/2 moa doesn't matter the gun in your hand. And im not talking about random 3 shot 1/2 moa groups that a lot of guys post. Im talking .0-.1-.2 at most back to back day in abd out. You dont see r700 doing it. If your happy with 3 shots half moa and just hunt cant beat a r700. My point is theyre not worth the time and money when you can buy a custom abd have better

i'm pretty sure a high percentage of us that have been in this hobby for 2-3 decades and more started out with m700's once upon a time.
I'm a lifelong Remington fan. After all, their basic design is the template for many/most customs
When we found something better, we stuck with it. For valid reasons.
What else can be said?

In my personal experience I had a known Gunsmith build me a totally blueprinted 700.
First was the cost of action.
$500
Then I have to add in his work which was a lot.
I had everything done.
Timed action
Blueprinted
Sleeved the bolt
Side release
Adjusted trigger
You name it.
After his work it was $1250 not including cost of action.
So with a total of $1750 I got a totally tricked out R700 (including chambering)
Now the rifle shot awesome I mean totally awesome.
Loading for it was wonderful, it shot everything I fed it with ease and yes I would put it up against any custom.
But here lies the problem.
Once I shoot the barrel out then what?
I'm gonna have to have him or another smith rebarrel it and that will cost more of course as I cannot throw on just any R700 barrel.
Just recently I bought a Lone Peak TI action for the same price.
Now yes I got a Proof Barrel put on it but "I" put the barrel on, had Straight Jacket Armory chamber it for me and I did the rest.
And again it shoots everything I feed it the thing is if I shoot it out I can look for another prefit that is already chambered.
To me they are a little cheaper than going to a gunsmith and having him chamber and thread a new barrel.
And I do not have to ship my rifle.
I think cost wise in the long run for me it's worth a custom action.
Now accuracy probably not.
But ease of swapping barrels and not having to ship my action all over the country it is.

I don't see how that proves that a custom is more accurate? In the long run, the cost of a custom being worth it is the opinion of someone with cost and feature in mind. My opinion is not that my customs are more accurate than my 700 builds because my customs are in fact NO MORE ACURATE than my 700s. That's just reality.
90% of the time, a rifle's accuracy potential is limited by the shooter.
75% of the time, a rifle's accuracy potential is limited by the ammo.
30% of the time, a rifle's accuracy potential is limited by the rifle.

Out of those limiting factors, the top two can be remedied.
But if a rifle won't shoot with a great shooter and great ammo, nothing is going to help the rifle in its current configuration.

As Good?? Well how much precision does a hunter require, vs a LR target shooter. Let me say that if you have the financial ability to pay for the precision of the new custom action, " To get what you want" then the custom action is way to go. Now to me, the middle ground would be/could be , to have your Remington, Winchester or Ruger Action and Bolt Face and new barrel, all Blue Printed!!! To a degree, you would be improving the Barreled Action, and you have increased the overall precision of the rig. A New High End Trigger and proper bedding, and your LR hunting Rig is , or should be, capable of increased Long Range Accuracy, over the factory Bone stock rifle. So, speaking just for myself, the new discounted price of $1550.00 for a S/S Defiance Action, vs the Cost of a competent Gunsmith machinist Blue Printing the complete barreled action, would be the deciding factor. I would get a quote from the Gunsmith. If his work is $500 to 600 Dollars, and I could save $1000 dollars, then that money would go into a better stock or a better LR scope. My Personal opinion.

This conversation comes up so often in regard to all hunting gear. As for custom actions are they worth it, absolutely yes.
Confidence in your equipment cannot be understated.
Confidence is a double edge sword. You know how many videos are out there where guys have more money than ability? It's sickening to watch YouTube these days. It's clear that an overwhelming majority of guys with high dollar custom rifles think they are more effective than they are. You don't have to have a custom action to have confidence

I keep seeing the comments about target shooter vs hunter. What is the difference, I primarily hunt deer so I get roughly a 9" kill zone for vitals elk a little more. What is a target shooter's target at 600, 700, and 800+ yards? We are all target shooters whether our targets have a heartbeat and can move or whether the target doesn't. So why should a hunting rifle be less accurate that a target rifle?

Recent Posts