Custom actions, are they worth it?

What percent chance do you give that action of performing equalily to a high quality stock/bedding job, barrel/chambering/threading and optic?

It's not the rifle in question it's the action that the OP asked about. Id give the action a very high percent chance of performing equally and ACCURATELY as a custom action. As I have seen many do time and time again. Subsequently, if the system isn't performing its never been the action that was the problem.

What percent chance do you give that action of performing equalily to a high quality stock/bedding job, barrel/chambering/threading and optic?
the guy that reads the wind the best will shoot the best between the two. Advanced reloading techniques, bench techniques, and some basic wind reading skills are the key.

All those Remington RR 700 Long Range rifles in various calibers, bedded, trigger swapped out, good glass, shoot tiny groups at 600 yards when the rifles hand loads are tuned to the barrel with a muzzle break.

Understood. I'm glad nobody said PTG. It would have ruined my Christmas, from previous experience.
My point, I'm not going to take the best barrel, stock, trigger and time of an accomplished and demanding GS and attempt a shortcut on the action.
The ones I use wouldn't put their name on it and I do not blame them. Lug contact, threading, cam timing, extraction and bolt face squareness, sloppy firing pins issues etc will be avoided as much as possible on the front end.
Do people actually sell used actions without excessive lug galling?
If the factory action approach works for others, then by all means take advantage of what is offered.
If it's good for you there isn't a need to want anything different.👍

If I'm buying a high end manners/mcmillan customized to what I want, a carbon fiber barrel, suppressor, 3500-4000$ optic, why would I not want to stack the deck in my favor with a defiance or bat? To me it's just about compounding degrees of tolerance in parts that I want to keep as tight as possible.

Vince, I've looked at the REM LR.
I like the concept, just dont require a long action and I'd prefer SS over carbon.
Knowing me, I would probably swap this and that to the point it would be unrecognizable, and maybe in the end wishing I'd gone another route.
The custom shop was an interesting concept to me years ago, and I tried to inquire but they never would answer the phone.
Another reason I went full out.

You guys converted me! I am selling my two custom actions with all their barrels and buying 700 actions in all those calibers and new stocks and optics for all of them. Man I am going to save some money!!! Thanks! LOL

No customs actions for me. All my builds have been with Rem 700 Stainless Actions.
Yup, Me too, OR on,.. SS Tikka actions, since My Bench, stays at Home,.. while Hunting.
Sub 1/2 MOA accuracy with, "Tuned" bullet, Hand loads, will get most Hunters WAY, the fudge out there, IF they can read Wind !
But, there's nothing wrong with, a Custom Action either, IF you got, the extra Dinero.
Personally, I'll buy 3 Tikka's, in 3 different cart's, over One Custom Rifle.
And, I've built / sold, quite a Few Customs, in my Younger Days.

Last edited:
You guys converted me! I am selling my two custom actions with all their barrels and buying 700 actions in all those calibers and new stocks and optics for all of them. Man I am going to save some money!!! Thanks! LOL

Except this thread isn't about versatility or even overall cost. It was about accuracy and like has been proven time and time again, when a rifle doesn't shoot well guys don't swap out the action...