Custom 300 Allen Xpress

Jeff W.

Dear Mr. Allen:

I am interested in your 300 Allen Xpress cartridge and its potential for the types of game animals I pursue in Arizona. If I understand the data correctly, the 300 AX uses the 338 Lapua as the parent case and is necked down to accommodate a 30-caliber bullet. Does your 300 AX design "improve" the Lapua case or does it maintain the factory Lapua dimensions? I would intend this gun to be the most versatile rifle in my arsenal. Capable of talking small varmints/predators all the way to elk - and everything in between. While the majority of my hunting distances are less than 500 yards, one of the best trophy deer areas in Arizona (The Strip) could easily present shots beyond 500 yards. I would generally anticipate using either a 165-grain or 180-grain projectiles.

In addition to learning more about the 300 AX design and performance; I'd like to discuss having you build me a custom 300 AX. For initial discussion purposes, my specifications are as follows:
  • BAT Action
  • Krieger barrel, 3/8" flutes, 30" finish length
  • APS small 3 port Painkiller muzzle brake
  • Jewell trigger
  • McMillan A-5 tactical stock w/ Decelerator pad and with thumbwheel adj. check piece.
Any additional information, comments or suggestions you could provide about your 300 AX would be sincerely appreciated. Please let me know the best method of communicating with you on this subject.

Thank you;

Jeff Welker

Dear Mr. Allen:

I am interested in your 300 Allen Xpress cartridge and its potential for the types of game animals I pursue in Arizona. If I understand the data correctly, the 300 AX uses the 338 Lapua as the parent case and is necked down to accommodate a 30-caliber bullet. Does your 300 AX design "improve" the Lapua case or does it maintain the factory Lapua dimensions? I would intend this gun to be the most versatile rifle in my arsenal. Capable of talking small varmints/predators all the way to elk - and everything in between. While the majority of my hunting distances are less than 500 yards, one of the best trophy deer areas in Arizona (The Strip) could easily present shots beyond 500 yards. I would generally anticipate using either a 165-grain or 180-grain projectiles.

In addition to learning more about the 300 AX design and performance; I'd like to discuss having you build me a custom 300 AX. For initial discussion purposes, my specifications are as follows:
  • BAT Action
  • Krieger barrel, 3/8" flutes, 30" finish length
  • APS small 3 port Painkiller muzzle brake
  • Jewell trigger
  • McMillan A-5 tactical stock w/ Decelerator pad and with thumbwheel adj. check piece.
Any additional information, comments or suggestions you could provide about your 300 AX would be sincerely appreciated. Please let me know the best method of communicating with you on this subject.

Thank you;

Jeff Welker

I will tell you this that Kirby is a great guy to deal with he built my 338 edge last year. he is a email guy i don't think i ever talked to him on the phone but what he lack in phone conversations. he makes up for it in his rifles. I will be having him build me a 375AM this year. You would be better off sending him a email he will get back to you may take a day are two but well worth it.
good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff W.

Thanks for the interest in my 300 Allen Xpress. Dimensionally, it is an improved version of the 338 Lapua. Its shoulder is not as aggressive as the 40 degree angle on the Ackley improved design as to improve feeding characteristics while still providing the exact same performance level as the 40 degree angle.

Formed brass is available from me so no fireforming is ever needed, no different then loading a factory chambering, just a set of dies and load data is all you need and I supply both with rifles.

As far as what game its suitable for, pretty much anything short of dangerous game and even dangerous game could be taken inthe right situation but for that my 338 AX or 375 AX would be much better choices just because of heavier and larger diameter bullet options.

Still for anything on this continent and most of the world, it would be hard to find a more useful chambering for your needs.

As to your componant list, if your looking for a portable rifle under 15 lbs, I would not recommend the BAT receivers. Nothing wrong with that receiver in any way, just that there are others that are just as good and offer better inletting options. All other componants are spot on.

For specific numbers, send me an e-mail at the below e-mail address in my signature. I will get you all the information you want. If you have already sent an e-mail I will get caught up soon. A couple days behind currently with e-mails.

I would however recommend a bit more bullet weight. Nothing wrong with a quality 180 gr bullet but this chambering REALLY starts to run hard with a 200 gr and heavier bullet where it will run toe to toe with the larger capacity 30-378 Wby.

Take care and hope I can be of help in this project for you.

We charge $80 for componants and labor to form 100 rounds of brass. The brass cost itself depends on current market price where we can find it. It will generally range from $185 to $250 per 100 cases, again, depends on where we can find it.

When I find it on the lower price end, I generally stock up so I can pass on the savings to my customers but I am out of brass currently and just ordered some for $235 per 100. Did not order alot as I am hoping the lower priced option gets back in stock soon!!!

You can also send me your virgin cases and we can form them for you, again, $80+return shipping and insurance.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.