300 PRC Factory or Custom?

ORCON

I've got a bug up my backside about getting a 300 PRC. I like heavy for caliber bullets with high BC without needing to get into specialty length actions and bolt faces. Plus, the cost of components are very reasonable compared to most of the other LR and ELR cartridges. I want to manage weight, most of my rifles are 12lbs or heavier fully loaded and I'd like something lighter for hunting but also something that I can do some target work without getting completely beat up. Maybe I'm trying to split the baby here but I want a dual purpose rifle that doesn't exceed 10lbs in the field. I'm going to list my options here and some pros/cons with each. Help me sort this out would ya?

1. Bergara B14 HMR $1000
-Pros: Affordable, desirable bbl length, threaded muzzle, Rem 700 compatibility, AISC DBM, lots of features for the price
-Cons: Weight (9.9 lbs naked), mass manufactured (not always bad but you never know what you'll get), slower twist rate

2. Christensen Arms Ridgeline $1800
-Pros: Weight (6.8 lbs naked), proper twist rate and bbl length, Rem 700 compatibility, threaded muzzle with brake
-Cons: Stock design (not conducive to prone shooting), weight (possibly miserable to shoot for extended periods), hinged floor plate

3. Defiance Ruckus build $1400 (action) $800 (CF BBL) $700 (stock) $400 (misc. 'smithing)
-Pros: The world is my burrito when it comes to options, high quality action, headspace guarantee allows for shouldered prefits, Rem 700 compatibility
-Cons: Price, Time

I did mine on a tenacity and love it. That would save you a few hundred in action cost

Build a custom if you can swing it. You pick all the components and you can get the smith to chamber the bbl for the bullet you plan on using. Gives you even more flexibility if you are going to handload. I love impact precision actions as you can order pre-fit barrels. They are more money though. Good luck.

Skip the cf barrel, and use a #5 steel, in something light like a Mcmillan edge fill and you will be 8-8.5lb which is the sweet spot for a .300 in my opinion. And I would at least double your gunsmith fees, unless your doing some of the work yourself.

If you want a factory rifle, the Bergara HMR Pro, B14 HMR Wilderness, Ridgeback, they are all good, I purchased the B14 HMR in 7mm Rem Mag for the Grandson, great rifle, easy to load for. I have the B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed for myself, very accurate just starting to test reloads, should be better than factory ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.