Cust 280 AI - 160-168g Bullets Q

Not in my experience...in '06 cases, about 30 fps per inch...in the Win Mag cases you might see 50 fps per inch (40 is more like it).

In the Ackley...30-35 fps per inch is about right.

Barrel/throat condition also play a part...but all things being equal, the above has held true for me based on a sizable number of rifles.
You may well be right. I wasn't taking the case capacity into consideration.

I shoot a 280AI with a 24" Brux barrel. With a 168 Berger I was getting about 2910 with H4831sc and good accuracy. Switched to RL17 and was able to get to about 2965 with good accuracy and no pressure in my rifle. As mentioned earlier, a 26" barrel would help, but anything over 2800fps with a 168 Berger vld is shooting plenty flat.

Dear Wild (and Others):

I'll have to seriously think about the 25 or 26" barrel - I've just never handled anything more than 24" and I shoot mostly hand guns and my AR-15 for recreation at the range. You've nudged me to seriously consider the longer barrel, which is a good thing as I'd have never done that w/o posting here.

I hear you on the 'fps' value of an additional inch pr barrel, and some have seen that from my reading. Truly, I'd be pretty happy with 75 fps with 2" more barrel and anything more would be the cats meow. Also, I'm not particularly recoil shy within limits; I'm good for 40-50 rounds at a time with my 30/06. A 280 AI seems like it will fall into the same category of weight/recoil (≤9 lbs scoped and 17-19 f-lbs of recoil). That's very doable w/o a muzzle break I think.

The big decision is how much to spend and by whom, and I'm doing a lot reading on that matter including Len here on this site. I live in LA and no one seems in the top tier of custom hunting rifle builders here. I'm not too constrained in the budget department, and I'm a high value shopper when it comes to guns and fly rods/reels/etc. . . . oh, and shoes! :rolleyes:

Take care all,

Rachel

Dear Wild (and Others):

I'll have to seriously think about the 25 or 26" barrel - I've just never handled anything more than 24" and I shoot mostly hand guns and my AR-15 for recreation at the range. You've nudged me to seriously consider the longer barrel, which is a good thing as I'd have never done that w/o posting here.

I hear you on the 'fps' value of an additional inch pr barrel, and some have seen that from my reading. Truly, I'd be pretty happy with 75 fps with 2" more barrel and anything more would be the cats meow. Also, I'm not particularly recoil shy within limits; I'm good for 40-50 rounds at a time with my 30/06. A 280 AI seems like it will fall into the same category of weight/recoil (≤9 lbs scoped and 17-19 f-lbs of recoil). That's very doable w/o a muzzle break I think.

The big decision is how much to spend and by whom, and I'm doing a lot reading on that matter including Len here on this site. I live in LA and no one seems in the top tier of custom hunting rifle builders here. I'm not too constrained in the budget department, and I'm a high value shopper when it comes to guns and fly rods/reels/etc. . . . oh, and shoes! :rolleyes:

Take care all,

Rachel

Rachel,

Please don't take this the wrong way but I don't think there's anything sexier than a lady talking about guns, except when they are shooting and hunting with them.

I'm still working on the hunting part with my wife after 33 years of marriage. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

Cheers!

Ed

Dear Wild (and Others):

Take care all,

Rachel

I shoot 280AI with 27" Lilja barrel and it's long throated also 280AI,SAAMI Spec with 25" Kreiger barrel. I've never loaded or shot 24" barrel 280AI but I do think 3000fps is the upper end for 160gr bullet. Nosler data for the 280AI they used 26" barrel.

When you start going longer than 24" you also have to look at barrel weight and say your used to 9lb rifle how much more is that barrel adding or should you go with different barrel control and keep rifle about same as 9lb rifle.

Dear Wild (and Others):

Take care all,

Rachel
You know Rachel with all that being considered you might just think long and hard about going with a 7mm Rem Mag.

You'll get the FPS you need for sure and the recoil with the same weight bullets isn't bad at all. I started my nieces shooting a 7RM when they were about 10-12. It had a brake, though not a particularly good one (browning boss system) and I loaded some 120gr bullets for them to shoot. Neither of them weighed even 80lbs at the time.

Rachel,

Please don't take this the wrong way but I don't think there's anything sexier than a lady talking about guns, except when they are shooting and hunting with them.

I'm still working on the hunting part with my wife after 33 years of marriage. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

Cheers!

Ed

Thank you for the post.

AND none taken . . . Rachel

You know Rachel with all that being considered you might just think long and hard about going with a 7mm Rem Mag.

You'll get the FPS you need for sure and the recoil with the same weight bullets isn't bad at all. I started my nieces shooting a 7RM when they were about 10-12. It had a brake, though not a particularly good one (browning boss system) and I loaded some 120gr bullets for them to shoot. Neither of them weighed even 80lbs at the time.

Now that's a thought I hadn't given any time to. Thanks, hmmm.

Rachel

P.S. I also have thought about the 7mm WSM for the shorter action.

Hi and Thanks to Everyone:

I'm not a re-loader per-se but have paid for/used custom developed ammo matched to a 300H&H I used to own (dumb to have gotten rid of it) - Mannlicher style and beautifully made, a bit heavy with a scope but what a nice rifle. I had it built many decades ago while in college. Didn't use it much and finally sold it ~30 years ago.

Anyway . . . after more thought I'm still leaning towards a 24" barrel for the custom build. If I can get an honest 2900 fps with a 168 VLD I'm going to be happy and/or 2950ish or more with 160g AB. That puts both rounds pretty much in my wheel house for a great 7mm hunting rifle. When I select the smith I'll have one last and informed discussion around design/build selections with him as someone very familiar with all details of his craft and creation.

Of course, the 7mm WSM and 7MM Rem. Mag. would easily get there, but that's a lot of bang! Plus, that's why I gravitated to the 2890 AI in the first place, though my 300 H&H never seemed obscene in terms of blast and recoil.

I know I'm wiser and finer (as in a great wine), but in my youth I would've jumped on both a 338 Lapua and a 7mm Rem. Mag. and called it day. LOL

Take care all,

Rachel

Now that's a thought I hadn't given any time to. Thanks, hmmm.

Rachel

P.S. I also have thought about the 7mm WSM for the shorter action.
Well either would work for you and probably a bit better than the 280AI. Maybe you can get some of the WSM guys to chime in, maybe start a new thread on it, but I think most would tell you to think about going with a long action even with the wsm so you can seat the longer bullets out farther without running out of magazine length.

Hi and Thanks to Everyone:

I'm not a re-loader per-se but have paid for/used custom developed ammo matched to a 300H&H I used to own (dumb to have gotten rid of it) - Mannlicher style and beautifully made, a bit heavy with a scope but what a nice rifle. I had it built many decades ago while in college. Didn't use it much and finally sold it ~30 years ago.

Anyway . . . after more thought I'm still leaning towards a 24" barrel for the custom build. If I can get an honest 2900 fps with a 168 VLD I'm going to be happy and/or 2950ish or more with 160g AB. That puts both rounds pretty much in my wheel house for a great 7mm hunting rifle. When I select the smith I'll have one last and informed discussion around design/build selections with him as someone very familiar with all details of his craft and creation.

Of course, the 7mm WSM and 7MM Rem. Mag. would easily get there, but that's a lot of bang! Plus, that's why I gravitated to the 2890 AI in the first place, though my 300 H&H never seemed obscene in terms of blast and recoil.

I know I'm wiser and finer (as in a great wine), but in my youth I would've jumped on both a 338 Lapua and a 7mm Rem. Mag. and called it day. LOL

Take care all,

Rachel
In all honesty you won't notice the additional recoil with the wsm or 7Rem. You're still launching the same bullet with not much increase in charge.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts