"Cruncher"

25 Otter

Howdy all. Thought I would post a couple pics of Old Cruncher. A 300 RUM that I have "Tweaked" just a little. It's not very high tech,but she shoots super. I hope to work up another project rifle this winter. This old girl started life as an SPS. I picked up a new take off BDL stock and bedded her to it. Her lugs are lapped, trigger lightened and polished, dual dove tail Leupy rings and bases that are JB-ed and lapped, fully floated and crowned pipe. She is a budget sub MOA honey. Likes just about anything I put in her. With a slight preference for 180 grainers on the warm side. So far she's only accounted for whitetails and a couple woodchucks. But, I have 3 Colorado Elk points that will be cashed in next fall. Hunt Gods permitting.
100_1146.jpg

100_1147.jpg

Excellent job. There's just nuthin prettier to me than a 'factory' rifle thats been tweaked and massaged. They always seem to retain their graceful lines unlike some of the canoe paddles we see on here. And it's GREAT to know that subMOA can be had on a limited budget.

Thanks Silvertip. I never intended to get so attached to this 300. It just sorta happened. The darn thing is so reliable it's annoying. I pick it up and it hits where it's supposed to,every time. It's too much gun for western PA deer hunting. Heck,last season I took my buck with her. I carried my Otter 6 all season. Trying to get a shot with it. Last day I took old Cruncher for good luck,and shot a decent 8 point before 10:00 AM. A big old 300 Ultra Mag. Neck shot. Under 50 yards. Doesn't make any sense,but I've grown attached to her. Now I need a sweet .284 Winchester that weighs in at about 8 pounds to shoot as good as Cruncher. Something a little more suited to PA whitetails at "woods" distances :cool:.

Gorgeous gun. Is that a factory stock? I simply cannot find high gloss finishes...

Can you tell me if Remington offers that as a standard, or is that a custom stock? Man that is a beautiful rifle.

Yep,that's a factory BDL magnum stock. It was a take off I picked up over in Ohio at a little place I buy reloading components at. The fella that owns the shop bought one of the engraved 700BDLs in 300 Ultra Mag,and put it in a composite stock as soon as he got it home. I bought it to put on the SPS. She's all bedded and floated from the chamber forward. She is a real honey. Cruncher picked up her name from the first big old whitetail doe I shot with her. There just wasn't any other word to describe it. She got "crunched" on the spot.

Very nice "Old American Style" rifle , i like very much the Rem-Bdl-glossy stock.
I have one (the same BDL-glossy), from my Rem700 - short action - 22-250 Rem.
Now "she" dress a B&C - varmint stock, .... but i'll never sell the original Remmy !

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.