Crow hunting

Varmicide, I've had good luck using the rifle when set up on bait, usually deer carcasses.

I also drive the dirt roads and get some spot and shoot hunting, but they get wise to that too.

I once shot a crow in a tree and it got caught in a branch half way down. I called the crows back with my mouth and when they seen there budy flailed out in that tree they went nuts. Typically the wont' land again but some of them did and I killed another. When the dead crow falls to the ground I never had that reaction before.

if you really want to bring crows or ravens in,just tie up a wounded crow with a broke wing and of course have an owl decoy right there.if you wait till a couple hundred gather raisin H,the shotguns won't even scare em away sometimes.if you have enough snow,spread a bunch of ketchup around.of course this is for long range fun.the 105 a-max works well.

I have really good luck just calling them in with a Primo's crow call. They will literally circle overhead while I'm calling and this ends up attracting more crows. When I get to about 20-25 crows circling, I open up with the benelli. This combo turns the sky black with feathers.

Ronnie

I don't thing the times are quite hard enough for me to eat a pd!!! Not saying I wouldn't, but it would be one of my last choices.

Squirrel and rabbit are quite tasty though. Especially rabbit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif!!!

I've not eaten a prairie dog yet, but cottontail rabbits, snowshoe hair and red squirl are all a tasty treat when cooked properly. Jack rabbits and ground squirl are a little too stringy for my liking.

it's amazing what you'll cook if you get hungry enough.

Whilst I've never been able to test this, as we have no Crows! - I'm told the BEST way is to get a live decoy inside a LARSEN trap. And that for CROWS - the magnet is a Magpie. They'll como to "mob" the bait. Then you can just pick 'em off. As they'll try to wake up the dead ones.

Magpies are of the same vein. Drop one and the rest will come to sqwark at the dead 'un. So you drop another and they sit and sqwark more. After about 3 or four they'll go away for a while - normally returning after an hour or so. After you've dropped 8 they seem to give up and leave the area for weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.