Crow Hunting With Rifles

MOA Chaser

Here in NC it is illegal to hunt crows with a rifle. I'm just curious to know whether that is true in your state as well? Some friends and I are trying to gather some info so that we can change the law here. gun)

Here in NC it is illegal to hunt crows with a rifle. I'm just curious to know whether that is true in your state as well? Some friends and I are trying to gather some info so that we can change the law here. gun)

In Texas, Crows are classed as Non Game and can be hunted with any legal firearm as long as the projectile does not leave the property and pass into another persons land.

That Becomes difficult when shooting a rifle, so steps have to be made to prevent any bullet/projectile from leaving your property.

We like to call crows and take them with a Shotgun when in range and when they get wise we resort to a rifle where we can. We normally set up high on a river bank and place our decoys down on the bank so that we have a back stop (all shots are downward)if the rifle is necessary. The game warden still has the right to check/watch to make sure you are in compliance, so you have to set limits on you target location that will comply.

Each state is different and the terrain may prevent using a rifle so read and understand your states
requirements. Comply with them and have fun.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks J.E.

I contacted the local DA and he infomed me that it was legal to hunt them in those counties where rifles are legal. I was told by several Game Wardens that it was illegal to shoot crows with a rifle. I have now infortmed them that they were wrong. :D

I may have screwed up. :rolleyes:

Thanks J.E.

I contacted the local DA and he infomed me that it was legal to hunt them in those counties where rifles are legal. I was told by several Game Wardens that it was illegal to shoot crows with a rifle. I have now infortmed them that they were wrong. :D

I may have screwed up. :rolleyes:

Game Wardens do great things for the sportsman and should be respected, "BUT" They are human
and sometimes can be wrong. Some don't like being corrected and diplomacy is the rule of the day,
so take the book with you and show them that you do know the rules (In the right way) and most will appreciate it. if not you may have to show the rules to the judge.

Either way, know the rules and follow them and all will be well.

Glad you can hunt them with a rifle. There is nothing like seeing a crow explode at two or three hundred yards or more.

J E CUSTOM

We all hunt together so there is no problem. In fact, I'm kind of enjoying it. Most of the GW's I know are very reserved about who they hunt with, and with good reason.

here in western Canada we can shoot crows and magpies , ravens, starlings , English sparrows,and dam near any other pesky varmint that flys, walks or crawls at most any time of the yr I think that's why I stay

In Tennessee it is legal to hunt crows with rifles. In my experience, if you ask 5 different game wardens the same question, you will get 5 different answers. I send T.W.R.A. an email and print the email and take it with me. On wildlife management areas you cannot hunt coyotes with shot larger than #4.This is for safety reasons,but you can shoot ducks or geese withTTT shot and smaller, Shooting in the air with larger shot but not coyotes on the ground. Safety right. Crazy but true public or private land you can use TTT shot . Friend of mine is a game warden and told me to go hunt with TTT shot if I wanted too. He knew I would kill coyotes only. This was on his WMA. My cousins husband is a game warden, very nice guy and very dedicated to his job. Have to take my hat off to the Wardens.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.