Critique my Threading and Chambering - Video

I'm just a worn out old millwright and couldn't get the video to play and not qualified to comment on the subject any way .

I am not a gunsmith, but I enjoy watching videos on the subject. I do light repairs, such as triggers, bedding and such at home. Always interested in learning how things are done. This was especially interesting after watching a guy beat his barrel over a log. ( so sex related innuendos intended ) Thanks Mram10us.

Mram here is my hybrid breech come I do for Remingtons. It is also spec'ed for the Gunwerks GRB receiver which is the shank in the photo.

Attachments

• 20200409_192219.jpg
    20200409_192219.jpg
    973.9 KB · Views: 117
^^^
Curious. What's the purpose of the cone?

Wouldn't function as one of the "rings of steel", so why have it at all?

Those that don't care about the counterbore (I do them...) just ignore 'em and keep a flat breech.

The cone make feeding like butter.
There is still the partial ring at the bottom. I have never done a remington without the counterbore. You would lose .150 of thread length on the shank and it needs all it can get. The one in the picture is exact spec for a GRB action but looks real similar to how I cut my remingtons. The GRB bolt nose looks like a remington, it's not a 30 degree coned bolt.
Shep

Nice 25wsm. Closest I do to that is nice polished 30* at end of counterbore, but very shallow. As you say it aids in feeding.

On a remington 700 I go about half the way down the counter bore. About .075 down and then 30 degree it. Still gives about .075 of the ring of steel around the nose.
Shep

The cone make feeding like butter.
There is still the partial ring at the bottom. I have never done a remington without the counterbore. You would lose .150 of thread length on the shank and it needs all it can get. The one in the picture is exact spec for a GRB action but looks real similar to how I cut my remingtons. The GRB bolt nose looks like a remington, it's not a 30 degree coned bolt.
Shep

Did Gunwerks change there bolts? All the GRB actions ive chambered barrels for the front of the bolt nose was 30 degree taper on the front of the lugs.
GRB bolt .jpg

I started doing it on the target guys guns for single feeding and then just started doing it to all my remingtons.
Shep

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.