Crimp-Velocity

As others have stated, be careful if already at max loads. Back off, crimp and work back up. Found a heavy crimp helped my SD and ES when using Staball 6.5. Haven't played around with the Lee FCD yet, but have had mixed success depending on powder and cartridge. Chronograph is your friend.

Well, i did have a chronograph for about 3 shots until it got hit. Some of you may remember how to do that. Thanks for the responses,got me thinkin more about increasing neck tension too.

I have never crimped anything myself either, and I'm not real curious about it.
Me neither really.When i do crimp its for levers or autos with 180g RN hunting loads. Its all we need when almost all shots are 150 and under in Maine. I crimp more for peace of mind for that.Dont need any of those pointy wizz bang bullets for that. Now tiny holes in paper thats different, none of my bullets have cannelures.

I think the biggest reason for crimping , is a little extra insurance of not having the bullet move , depending on neck tension etc . Some of the other benefits are reducing extreme spread from shot to shot for better accuracy . I don't think many hand loaders load to increase vel , pressure etc , at least I don't , some bullets and cartridges I crimp and some I don't . I do see some benefit in crimping , but it isn't absolutely necessary , unless it is a very heavy recoiling rifle , cartridge etc . Then safety plays a big part ,I.M.O.
I agree some bullets like more neck tension. Some like crimping. Some like none. It's another tool in your arsenal to help you get the most from your rifle. I found that the Hammer bullets I was testing made improvements from crimping. I used a Lee crimper and started easy and went to full crimp. It did make a difference in accuracy. But it is only a tool. Each reloader develops their own set of tools they feel help them out. It's all try and retry. I'm getting ready to try it on some Barnes LRX's to see what happens.