Finding velocity?

Jeebes

Is there any way to determine velocity if I know my zero and how much my bullet drops at a given distance? I don't have a chrony but I know my rifle is zeroed at 100 and at 600 I dial 9.5 MOA. Is there a way or do I need to just invest in a chrony?

You should be able to get in the ball park by just going to one of the ballistic apps or charts and using your bullets exact ballistic coefficient find a velocity that matches your drop. I guess you could call it reverse ballistic engineering. :D

Is there any way to determine velocity if I know my zero and how much my bullet drops at a given distance? I don't have a chrony but I know my rifle is zeroed at 100 and at 600 I dial 9.5 MOA. Is there a way or do I need to just invest in a chrony?

The Kestrel 4500 Applied Ballistics, Kestrel Sportsman, Applied Ballistics Tactical, and Applied Ballistics Mobile can all do this.

Yes you can. I found my velocuty using my drop data. I eventually got a Chony and I was pretty close!

For best results, buy a MagnetoSpeed V2 or V3 chrono. It's worth its weight in gold for the serious shooter, hunter, and handloader.

You can approximate it by back reading a ballistic table. Find the velocity that gives your MOA drop sighted in at 100yds.
But the truth is you will buy a chrony eventually...

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.