Cranking up the RPM

I am wondering why saami has Max pressure on the 6.5rpm at 65k psi, when the 6.5-284 and 284win are both at 58k psi.

It sounds like the rebated rim on the 284 is what decreases that max pressure, so how could a case that's just longer handle more pressure? The only other difference I see in the design is that the rpm chamber has a taper of about 0.013/in and the 284win has a taper of about 0.016/in. I wouldn't think that tiny change could allow a significant bump in pressure.

I am wondering why saami has Max pressure on the 6.5rpm at 65k psi, when the 6.5-284 and 284win are both at 58k psi.

It sounds like the rebated rim on the 284 is what decreases that max pressure, so how could a case that's just longer handle more pressure? The only other difference I see in the design is that the rpm chamber has a taper of about 0.013/in and the 284win has a taper of about 0.016/in. I wouldn't think that tiny change could allow a significant bump in pressure.
It's a modern cartridge with modern powders. Look at the 6.5 creedmoor(62k)and 6.5 prc.(65k)

Does SAAMI set the Max Pressure or the designer of the cartridge? 6.5 RPM is a WBY design and WBY calibers are around that pressure. I don't know the answer, I am just asking

It's a modern cartridge with modern powders. Look at the 6.5 creedmoor(62k)and 6.5 prc.(65k)

Yes but 6.5-284 is new. The 100+ year old '06 max is 60k psi. The 280ai is at 65k and that's not even the original AI design

The 284 case is known to show pressure signs on the head at lower pressures and it's largely thought to be because of the rebated rim being so much smaller than the base. Saum and wsm cases are rebated, but the difference in size between base and head isn't as great.

Yes but 6.5-284 is new. The 100+ year old '06 max is 60k psi. The 280ai is at 65k and that's not even the original AI design

The 284 case is known to show pressure signs on the head at lower pressures and it's largely thought to be because of the rebated rim being so much smaller than the base. Saum and wsm cases are rebated, but the difference in size between base and head isn't as great.
The 284 case may show that if bullets are seated into the powder column also the 284 win was standardized around a semi auto (model 100)and lever action(88) short rifle so that must be taken into account- those actions are considerably weaker and more pressure sensitive than a bolt.action(especially weatherbys six lug. A very strong action)
.473 case heads have proven to be capable of exceeding 65k
Manufacturers who wish to establish a saami cartridge get to set that psi rating, saami then tests it and determines if it's safe.
When norma standardized the wildcat 6.5-284 they decided what psi rating met their needs(barrel life, brass life et el)
nosler same for the 280ai.
Weatherby developed a case that is capable of routinely handling ,65k psi and they gave that design to saami for testing. Saami merely approves their design as being reasonably safe in modern actions, bullets, powders et el.

5 hours ago Weatherby announced the arrival of the 338 WBY RPM on their Facebook page ...

very cool, more brass for my 358 RIPM and less work necking up, than from the 6.5 RPM I am using

and everybody thought it would be the 7mm RPM next .....

47EA8404-633F-4D4A-AB4B-7C4502FE21C4.jpeg

5 hours ago Weatherby announced the arrival of the 338 WBY RPM on their Facebook page ...

very cool, more brass for my 358 RIPM and less work necking up, than from the 6.5 RPM I am using

and everybody thought it would be the 7mm RPM next .....

...View attachment 337856
How would this compare to the very old .338 win mag? Besides the belt. Interesting, looks good in the picture.

my only concern is brass quality, you dont hear much on it.

if you have to download to get any decent case life 3-5 reloads then it aint worth it, but if you can match the 338 win mag and then get 5 or more reloads it becomes a nice option